This refreshing watermelon feta salad is a simple, no-fuss recipe ready in less than 10 minutes! Tossed in a bright honey lemon dressing, it’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
I know it’s summer when large bins of seedless watermelons grace the grocery store aisles!
This hydrating summer fruit is a quick and easy way to jazz up fruit salads, smoothies, boozy drinks, and popsicles.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
So many reasons to love this watermelon feta salad:
- Quick and easy with minimal prep
- Vibrant, crunchy, salty, and sweet
- Perfect for a summer gathering, outdoor party, or BBQ
Every summer I look forward to this impressive yet simple watermelon salad. It’s ready to go in ten minutes, easy to make-ahead, and vanishes all too quickly!
Key Ingredient Notes:
With just seven ingredients, this watermelon salad is quick and easy to assemble!
- Watermelon – Be sure to pick a sweet and juicy watermelon! Look for a heavy watermelon with a bright yellow patch and a firm rind. If the patch is pale white, it was picked too early.
- Cucumbers – Mini cucumbers are great for salads. They don’t need to be peeled or de-seeded. Just slice them up and they’re ready to go.
- Feta Cheese – Creamy and salty feta complements the sweetness of the watermelon. Use a full-fat block of feta cheese for the best texture and flavor.
- Lemon juice – Always use freshly squeezed lemon juice. It’s quick, affordable, and far superior than the bottled kind.
- Honey – Honey sweetens the dressing and tames the zip of the lemon juice and zest.
How to cut a watermelon into cubes:
Although the ways to cut a watermelon are endless, this no-fail method is super quick and simple.
- Slice the watermelon in half widthwise.
- Set the flat side down onto a cutting board
- Slice into 1-inch strips, then rotate and slice perpendicular into 1-inch strips. It should create a grid-like pattern, as pictured.
- Slice each strip of watermelon into uniform cubes.
How to make this watermelon salad recipe:
This watermelon cucumber salad is ready in less than 10 minutes. Just whisk, toss, and chill!
- Whisk: Make the honey lemon dressing. Whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, and honey in a small bowl.
- Toss: Combine watermelon, cucumber, feta, and mint in a large mixing bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently so you don’t break up the watermelon.
- Chill: Enjoy immediately or chill for a couple hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Watermelon Feta Salad Variations:
This watermelon salad recipe is easy to customize! If you’re missing a key ingredient or just like a change of scenery, try one of these delicious options.
- Sweetener – Swap the honey with agave or maple syrup.
- Fresh herbs – Substitute mint with fresh basil!
- Fruit – If watermelons aren’t in season yet, don’t fret. Try cubed honeydew or cantaloupe melon instead.
- Cheese – Swap feta with goat cheese or mini mozzarella balls.
- Citrus – Try lime instead of lemon juice and zest.
- Onion – Add sliced red onion for added crunch and flavor.
Tips for Success:
- If you want the salad cold but ready to eat immediately, chill the watermelon before slicing it.
- Since watermelon is the star of the show, be sure to buy a sweet watermelon during peak-season!
- For a fun twist, use a melon baller to cut the watermelon. It takes longer, but it looks beautiful.
- It’s best to assemble watermelon cucumber salad within a few hours of serving it. You can, however, cube the watermelon ahead of time.
- Store the cubed watermelon in the refrigerator and drain the juice before tossing it with the other ingredients.
- Store leftover watermelon feta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- The longer it sits in the fridge, the more juice it releases. For this reason, it won’t be as fresh the next day, but still delicious!
Watermelon salad is a cold salad centered around watermelon as the main ingredient and often tossed in a simple vinaigrette. This version contains cucumbers, feta, and mint, but others contain ingredients like arugula, avocado, red onion, nuts, and basil.
Feta is the most popular choice for a watermelon salad, but blue cheese, goat cheese, gorgonzola, or mini mozzarella balls are great options too!
Yes! Since watermelon is naturally sweet, it tastes delicious without the dressing too. I do recommend tossing it with the honey lime dressing though. It adds a bright, sweet touch and brings all the ingredients together.
More Summer Salad Recipes:
Try one of these light and refreshing summer salads at your next cookout!
Watermelon Feta Salad
For honey lemon dressing:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice Note 1
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon raw honey Note 2
- ½ medium-sized watermelon diced into 1" cubes (6 cups) Note 3
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers Note 4
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese Note 5
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint Note 6
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest and honey. If needed, microwave the mixture for 5-10 seconds to let the honey melt easily.
To make the salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cubed watermelon, cucumber slices, feta and mint.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently. Serve immediately or chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge before serving.
Tips & Notes:
– Store leftover watermelon feta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
– The longer it sits in the fridge, the more juice it releases. For this reason, it won’t be as fresh the next day, but still delicious!
Leave a Review