Linda’s Famous Broccoli Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This quick and easy broccoli salad, loaded with flavors and texture, is a perfect side dish for family gatherings and celebrations! Not only is it a delicious crowd-pleaser, it’s also great to make it in advance!
This broccoli salad recipe was passed down through generations and an absolute keeper for sure.
I first tried this broccoli salad at my friends’ daughter’s 1st birthday. It was such a hit at the party that everyone reached for seconds! And for a good reason, because this salad is packed with flavor and textures!
Linda, great-grandmother of the birthday girl, made the salad and claimed it’s a family favorite and a must-have salad for every family event! Lucky for all of us, she happily shared her recipe.
Tips for Making Broccoli Salad
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time before your event.
A few key notes from Linda:
- Don’t use light mayo. She said it makes a huge difference! Her favorite mayo is Helmann’s.
- When it comes to measurements for onion, grapes, craisins and sunflower seeds, you can just eyeball it, and use as much or as little as you wish!
Can I make broccoli salad a day in advance?
- Yes, you sure can. In fact, I think it gets better when served the next day. Just be sure to mix everything well right before serving.
How long can I store broccoli salad?
- This salad is good refrigerated for about 3-4 days.
How to Make Linda’s Famous Broccoli Salad
Step 1: Make the Bacon
Remove the bacon from the package and cut into small ½ inch pieces. Add the bacon to a cold pan and turn on to medium-high heat.
Cook until browned and crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon onto a plate, lined with a paper towel.
Step 2: Prep the Veggies
For the broccoli, cut the florets from the head of the broccoli, then into smaller pieces.
Mince the red onion and halve the grapes. Set aside. Then, add the broccoli, red onion and grapes to a large mixing bowl, along with the bacon, craisins and sunflower seeds.
Step 3: Make the Dressing
To make the dressing, combine mayo, sugar and red wine in a small bowl. Whisk until well-blended, then pour the dressing over salad ingredients and mix well.
And mix, mix, mix…
Refrigerate until you are ready to serve!
If you make this recipe, please share the photo on Instagram and tag me @shineshka.
Linda's Famous Broccoli Salad
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 head broccoli washed
- ½ red onion
- 2-3 cups seedless grapes washed
- 1 cup craisins
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- To cook the bacon, cut bacon into small pieces.
- In a medium skillet, cook chopped bacon over medium high heat until nice and crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon bits onto a plate, lined with a paper towel.
- To prep the veggies, cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces.
- Mince red onion.
- Cut the grapes in half.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped broccoli, bacon, onion, grapes, craisins and sunflower seeds.
- To make the dressing, whisk mayo, sugar and red wine vinegar until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the prepared salad ingredients and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- You can make this broccoli salad a day in advance. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The leftover salad is good, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.