This post is part of #ArborMist #StartSummer campaign hosted by #CollectiveBias, the social shopper media company. All opinions are mine alone.
Boozy, fruity and refreshing, this fruit salad is dressed with honey/merlot syrup! Unbelievable flavor combination in one big fruity bowl!
Hey, hey, hey!
Happy Hump Day, my friend! Guess what I have for you today? That’s right. Something boozy to carry you through the week.
You know how much I love sangria. (If you didn’t, check out all my sangria recipes here.) On a few too many occasions, I may or may not have confessed that wine soaked fruits might be my favorite part of making sangria. So, when I got an opportunity to work with Arbor Mist, it seemed totally natural to make this drunk fruit salad loaded with honey sweetened merlot dressing.
That’s right, sweetened with honey! I freaking love raw honey!! Honey adds not only sweetness, but also floral notes in the salad.
We’ll simmer 1 cup of Arbor Mist blackberry merlot with about 1/4 cup of raw honey over medium high heat until it’s reduced to 1/4 cup of syrup. The flavors concentrate into one delicious syrup. You will love it!
While the syrup is cooking, cut the fruits. I start with melons, then strawberries, kiwi, oranges. Pears and apples are cut at the very last to prevent browning. As soon as you cut apples and pears, generously squeeze lemon juice all over them.
Of course, you can add whatever fruits you have on hand, or whatever is in season. Blueberries would have been awesome here, but it is not quite in season and was too expensive.
Anyway, once the syrup is cooled, pour it over the fruits and add splash of merlot, just because! 🙂 Mix everything and serve.
There you have it, one big batch of colorful, refreshing, and most importantly, super easy fruit salad. It’ll bring so much sunshine to your back-yard barbecue, summer parties and celebrations.
Now tell me, what’s your favorite summer recipe?
Boozy Fruit Salad
- 1 1/2 cup 360gr Merlot, such as Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot
- 1/4 cup 60ml raw honey
- 1/2 mini watermelon about 2 cups watermelon balls
- 1 small melon about 2 cups melon balls
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or blueberries
- 6 fresh strawberries about 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3 kiwis about 1 cup sliced
- 2 oranges
- 2 small pears
- 1 apple
- 1/4 lemon
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup wine and honey and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 25 minutes.
- Using a melon baller, ball the watermelon and melon.
- Slice all the fruits. (Cut the pears and apples the last to prevent browning and squeeze lemon juice over them).
- Place all the sliced fruits in a large bowl.
- Pour the merlot syrup and remaining 1/2 cup merlot over the fruits.
- Mix well and chill until ready to serve.
Leave a Review