Here are 3 easy ways to cut a watermelon into sticks, cubes and wedges! Plus, my time-tested tips for properly storing a watermelon to enjoy this sweet and refreshing fruit all summer long.
Pick a perfect watermelon and serve it every chance you get all summer long!
3 ways to cut a watermelon:
Depending on how I’m serving it, I use one of the following methods to cube or slice a watermelon.
1. Watermelon sticks
Watermelon sticks are my favorite way to serve watermelon to kids!! In my opinion, it makes the least amount of mess and super easy for little ones to hold it.
- Cut the watermelon in half.
- Place each half cut-side down.
- Then cut each half into 1-inch slices then turn it and cut the slices again the opposite way, as pictured.
2. Watermelon cubes
- Follow step 1-3 to cut the watermelon into sticks.
- Then slice each watermelon spear into cubes.
3. Watermelon wedges
- Cut a half inch off the top and bottom end of the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon cut-side down and cut it in half.
- Now cut each half again to quarter the watermelon.
- Then place each quarter skin-side down and slice it into triangles. Or lay it cut-side down and cut into thick slices.
How to store a watermelon:
- For best results, store a whole uncut watermelon on the counter at room temperature for up to 7 days. Make sure to wash the outside before cutting.
- Refrigerate sliced watermelon in an airtight container for up to one week. Once it’s cut, it’ll begin to release its juices.
- If you only cut up part of the watermelon, wrap the cut end with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze watermelon, but it’s best to enjoy it frozen. The texture changes if you thaw it. Freeze cubed watermelon on a sheet pan first and then transfer to a sealed freezer-safe container or bag.
When storing cubed watermelon in the fridge for several days, I recommend draining the excess juices every day.
Watermelon makes a perfect drink and these are my top favorites!
- Frozen Watermelon Daiquiri – super refreshing summer cocktail!
- Minty Watermelon Fizz – perfect for serving with or without alcohol!
Leave a Review