My go-to banana bread recipe since 2013, and it’s the BEST!! This recipe makes two moistest and most flavorful breads with simple ingredients and just a wooden spoon! The only banana bread recipe you’ll ever need!!
Read on for my secret to the best banana bread.
First, a quick disclaimer. I’m guilty of claiming some of my recipes the best of the best. I do realize that it’s quite subjective. But I promise you, I don’t take this term lightly.
This banana bread recipe has been my go-to since 2013! And yes, I tried other recipes too, but I always come back to this one. I wouldn’t be lying if I said I make this quick bread recipe almost weekly and it never lasts more than 3 days!
And more than 3 dozens of readers confirm my claim! (Just scroll through the comments…)
What makes it the best recipe:
Extra-moist, not too dense, but not fluffy either, this quick bread is truly the best!
Here’re 3 reasons you’ll love this recipe:
- basic ingredients – sugar, butter, flour, eggs, baking soda and bananas, obvi.
- no mixer required – just grab a large bowl and wooden spoon!
- totally customizable – add whatever add-ins you’d like, chocolate chips, nuts, anything!
THE SECRET TO THE MOISTEST BANANA BREAD:
So, the secret to the moistest bread is frozen bananas!
You may have heard that super ripe bananas are key, and that’s definitely true.
However, over the years, I found that frozen over-ripe bananas turn a good banana bread into i-can’t-stop-eating-it kind!
Because when thawed, bananas get super mushy and liquid-y. And all that juices are gold! Don’t throw out the liquid, it makes the bread moist and flavorful.
HOW TO PREPARE BANANAS:
When you get nice and ripe bananas with lots of dark spots all over, put them in the freezer. (And yes, black bananas are totally ok to use!)
Ideally, you’d want to peel the bananas before freezing. Call it lazy, but I never do that!
Instead, I just stick a cluster of ripe bananas, peels and all, straight into the freezer.
How to thaw frozen bananas:
- Run hot tap water over the frozen bananas in a sink for 1-2 minutes.
- Peel the skin when it softens and place the peeled bananas in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave until bananas are completely thawed, about 3 minutes.
Sounds like a lot of work? Nah, it’s not really that bad, and for that amazing banana bread, you won’t even mind it!
If you already mashed your bananas before freezing (kuddos to you!), you’ll need about 4 cups of mashed bananas.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD:
Ok, now that the bananas are ready, let’s get baking!
- Make the batter: mash the bananas, add sugar, butter and vanilla extract, and then stir in eggs. Lastly, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Optional, add chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Bake: divide the batter into 2 greased bread pans. I use glass bread pans, but any bread pan would work. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Use a very large bowl to make the batter. I use a 4qt bowl (the largest bowl of this set).
To check the doneness, insert a long wooden skewer or a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is done!
You can also make this recipe into muffins too!
And if you’d rather make half a batch (just 1 loaf, or 12 muffins), follow my banana muffin recipe instead. It’s the same recipe, but for a half batch.
Technically, you don’t have to refrigerate banana breads.
- Cover the bread and keep it on the counter for 1-2 days.
However, I always put them in the fridge. Mostly to keep them out of sight, or they’ll be gone in matter of hours.
To keep the banana bread moist, make sure to cover it with plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container.
To serve, I microwave a slice for 30 seconds or so, and it’ll taste like fresh out of oven!
How to freeze banana bread:
This bread also freezes well.
- Wrap the cooled bread well in plastic and put it in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw, transfer the bread into the fridge overnight.
Hope you’ll try this recipe soon. And please snap a photo and share it on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag me @shineshka, so I can see it too!
The Best Banana Bread
- 8 frozen medium-to-large bananas Note 1
- 1 ½ cups (300g) sugar
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1- 1 ½ cups (120-180g) chopped pecans optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Peel and thaw frozen bananas in a microwave. Reserve all the juices and everything.
- Prepare two 9×5-inch bread pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the thawed bananas with a fork or potato masher until mostly smooth.
- Add sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Using a wooden spoon, mix everything until combined.
- Then add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Optional, add chopped pecans and/or other add-ins, like chocolate chips, dried fruits.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
- Keep the banana bread in the bread pan, covered tightly, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips & Notes:
This post was originally published on February 13th, 2013 and it was last updated on May 4th, 2020.