Spicy Cheddar Cheese Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
Silky smooth, rich and spicy, this cheddar cheese dip is addicting! Bring out the tortilla chips and dig in.
UPDATE: This’s Day 2 of 5 Days of Cheesy Dip Series. If you missed it, here’s Day 1. Also, I made a quick video to show you just how easy it is to make this spicy cheddar cheese dip.
One of the greatest pleasures in life is having unlimited cheese dip with tortilla chips paired with margaritas. You’re too? Great, because I’m here to share with you a few secrets to the smoothest and most flavorful cheese dips. Are you in?
Too many times, when making cheese dips, I’ve ended up with gritty, clumpy, not appetizing cheese concoctions. Through trials and errors and some research online, I’ve finally found the secrets to the smoothest cheese sauce without processed cheese (like velveeta and/or american cheese). I have nothing against those though!
So here are my takeaways:
- Grate your own cheese! Pre-shredded cheese has additives, which make things complicated. Buy a quality block of cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. I personally love Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese (white) and Crystal Farms Wisconsin Extra Sharp Cheddar (yellow).
- Cornstarch in this recipe is not here to thicken the mixture. Instead, it’s playing an anti-clumping role here. Combined with whole milk, it acts as an emulsifier. Here is the thing, when cheese is melted, it breaks down. So emulsifier helps things to stay smooth.
- As I mentioned above, use whole milk. Because whole milk = higher fat content, which leads to smoother cheese dip. The same goes for cheddar cheese and sour cream. Essentially, the higher the fat, the better! This’s NOT a diet food, but it’s all worth it!
Now, you know all the secrets. Go ahead and make a batch of this deliciously rich cheddar cheese dip! And don’t forget to share it.
Hope you enjoyed today’s recipe. Thank you for stopping by!
Spicy Cheddar Cheese Dip
- ½ cup 120ml whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup regular sour cream nor reduced fat stuff
- 8 oz 225gr extra sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Tortilla chips for serving
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add chopped jalapeño. Sauté for a minute.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup mix cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth.
- Add the remaining milk, cornstarch mixture and sour cream into the sautéed jalapeño. Mix until combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the cheddar cheese. Melt the cheese slowly, stirring constantly.
- Stir in hot sauce.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips.
This recipe was originally published on July 6th, 2015.