Cheesy Potato Pancakes
Delicately crispy crust + pillowy soft inside + ooey gooey cheese filling = DELICIOUS cheesy potato pancakes!
One of my greatest weaknesses in the world of food (besides chocolate and french macarons, of course) is potatoes!
There are so many amazing dishes you can prepare with them, but I feel like I don’t share enough of them here. But I made sure to share the top ones. Have you tried my cheesy tater tots? How about garlic rosemary baked steak fries? Or extra crispy baked potato chips? They are all tasty and on “healthier” side.
Today’s potato recipe though isn’t so healthy. But it’s so so good. Delicately crispy crust + pillowy soft inside + ooey gooey cheese filling! Can this be any better?? Hardly…
These potato pancakes are nothing but bland. Flavored with good amount of scallions, garlic and cheese, these crispy pancakes are so flavorful and soft. I used spicy Monterey Jack cheese for the filling, which gave my pancakes extra kick. If you like spicy, give it a try!
As always, here is the step-by-step photo tutorial.
I made hors d’oeuvres-size pancakes here, but you can, of course, adjust the size to your own liking.
My secret weapon for uniform pancakes is this handy-dandy medium cookie scoop. It’s such a handy tool for all things, from cookies to meatballs, from pancakes to truffles! A-kitchen-must-have. Period.
Sour cream, or crème fraîche make perfect condiment for these cheesy pancakes. If you want to get fancy add some smoked salmon. -> Perfect brunch!! 😉
Hope you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you for reading!
Cheesy Potato Pancakes
Yield: About 24 mini pancakes
- 6 medium russet potatoes (about 2lbs, yields about 6 cups grated potatoes)
- 3-4 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup (30gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3.5oz (85gr) Monterey Jack cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sour cream for serving
- Slice the cheese into thin 1-inch (2.5cm) squares. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the scallions.
- Grate the potatoes preferably on a box grater. (If using a food processor, make sure to pulse the shredded potatoes with the blade attachment to cut the long strands.)
- Soak the grated potatoes in a cold water for about 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out as much water as you can.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, sliced scallions, garlic, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add about 1/4-inch oil into a frying pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Drop about 1 heaping tablespoon of potato mixture into the oil (I use this medium cookie scoop for this step), flatten the mixture and place a slice of cheese in the middle. Cover the cheese with a little bit of potato mixture (about ½ tablespoon of mixture).
- Cook about 3-4 pancakes at a time, and don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook the pancakes about 3 minutes on each side, or until the pancakes are cooked through and golden brown. Remove the pancakes on paper towel to drain.
- Serve warm with sour cream. (Also smoked salmon makes a great addition to these pancakes.)
Snap a photo and submit it here. OR
Share it on IG with #sweetandsavorybyshinee
All photographs and content on Sweet & Savory by Shinee is copyright protected, unless otherwise noted. Please do not use any of my photos without my authorization. If you would like to share my recipe, you may re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the full directions. Thank you for your cooperation!
This recipe was originally published on September 7th, 2015.
don’t miss a recipe!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: