Sourdough Discard Crackers
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
Don’t ditch the discard! These sourdough discard crackers are addictively crunchy with a slight tang! Customize with your favorite seasoning or spice mix.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe:
As an avid sourdough baker, I always have a sourdough starter on the counter. It’s a labor of love, but the results are worth the daily feedings and upkeep.
- Texture – These discard crackers are thin, crispy, and light.
- Customizable – Salt is always a solid choice, or sprinkle with your favorite spice mix!
- Simple – Only 3 ingredients, and one of those is your leftover sourdough discard!
Sourdough discard crackers can be enjoyed in place of regular crackers, with chicken salad, hummus, or your favorite dip!
Key Ingredient Notes:
- Sourdough discard – Don’t throw away the discard. Instead transfer it to a jar in the fridge until you have enough to make these crackers!
- Unsalted butter – Butter makes the discard easy to spread onto the sheet pan. Use unsalted butter so the crackers aren’t too salty!
- Kosher salt – Don’t forget the salt!!! Without the salt, it’ll just turn into tangy cardboard. 😉
- Seasonings – Though optional, you can play around with various flavors by sprinkling on some of your favorite seasonings. Italian seasoning and everything bagel mix are my go-tos!
How to make these discard crackers:
My sourdough cracker recipe is super simple! Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Parchment prevents the crackers from sticking!
- Mix sourdough starter, melted butter, and salt until combined.
- Pour it over the parchment paper and spread it around evenly with an offset spatula.
- Be sure to spread it paper thin to achieve a crispy texture.
- Evenly sprinkle your favorite seasoning all over the dough, if using. I did half Italian seasoning and half everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the pan from the oven. Use a pizza cutter to score the dough into crackers.
- Then bake for another 25 minutes or until golden brown and very crisp.
Tips for Success:
- Let the crackers cool before breaking. The crackers will crisp and harden as they cool. Once they’re completely cool, break into pieces.
- Scoring the crackers is optional. If you prefer rustic, craggy edged crackers, skip this step. You can just break the cracker into pieces once it’s fully baked.
- The thinner you spread the dough, the crispier they will be. A thin cracker is a crispy cracker!
Season these sourdough crackers however you like! Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- Parmesan + rosemary – Add shredded parmesan and dried rosemary to the dough before you spread it.
- Herbs – Sprinkle the crackers with herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning and sea salt.
- Cinnamon sugar – Combine 1/4 cup of sugar with one tablespoon of cinnamon. Generously sprinkle over the dough.
- Everything bagel seasoning – One of my faves! Tastes like an everything bagel.
- Sesame seed – Sprinkle with black or white sesame seeds and kosher salt.
- Let the crackers cool completely before storing. Store the discard crackers in a jar with a lid or an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- I do not recommend freezing crackers. It can make them soggy!
You can store sourdough discard in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Yes, if you don’t plan to use it within a week, you can freeze it! Transfer the discard to a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to one year. Defrost it before you use it.
Yes, sourdough discard is rich in probiotics, vitamins, and healthy enzymes! It aids in good digestion and a healthy gut.
Sourdough Resources & Recipes:
Sourdough Discard Crackers
- 200 g sourdough starter discard
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt Note 1
- baker's half sheet pan
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baker’s half baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix sourdough discard and butter until combined.
- Pour it over the parchment paper and spread it into a thin layer using an offset spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle salt or your favorite seasoning. (I used salt and Italian seasoning on one half, and everything bagel seasoning on the other.)
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and score into square crackers.
- Bake for another 25 minutes, or until nice and crisp.
Tips & Notes
– Let the crackers cool completely before storing. Store the discard crackers in a jar with a lid or an airtight container for up to 7 days.
– I do not recommend freezing crackers. It can make them soggy!