Flaky buttery pie crust filled with sweet orange curd and topped with fluffy tall meringue. So irresistible!
Last weekend, I baked this lemon meringue pie. It was delicious. My
boyfriend husband mentioned that it would be even better if the filling was orange curd from the orange cream frosting I made for NYE.
“That’s a brilliant idea!” I said. And there I was baking orange meringue pie. And boy, was it good! I just couldn’t not to post the recipe here.
And here is step-by-step photos for you.
Check out my lemon meringue pie for some tips and tricks for common problems with meringue pies, like weeping, runny filling, etc. I have shared detailed tips on how to prevent these issues.
Hope you enjoy this pie!
Orange Meringue Pie
For Orange Curd Filling:
- ¾ cup 150gr sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups 360ml orange juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon 15gr unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To prepare the pie crust: Roll the pie crust into 10-inch circle on floured surface. Transfer it to 9-inch pie pan, fold the edges and pierce holes with a fork. First we need to blind-bake the crust to prevent the crust to puff up. In order to do that, cover the crust with a foil and pour raw rice or bean on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil with rice/beans and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown
- To make the meringue: whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy. Then slowly add sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time and continue to beat on medium high speed until hard peaks form. Set aside
- To make the filling: In a small saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt and slowly stir in orange juice. Heat the mixture over medium high heat. Cook and stir until mixture is thick and bubbly. Turn the heat down and cook one more minute.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. To temper the egg yolks, stir in ½ cup of hot sugar mixture, while whisking constantly to prevent scrambling the egg yolks. Transfer the tempered egg yolk mixture back to remaining hot sugar mixture. Cook for couple more minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter and orange zest.
- Pour the hot orange curd into the pre-baked pie crust and immediately spread the meringue over the filling, making sure to seal the edges. Bake the pie for 8-10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.