You won’t believe that these crispy potato chips are not fried, but baked! I’m sharing my secrets for extra crispy homemade potato chips from scratch!
Aren’t these potato chips simply beautiful? Would you believe if I said they are homemade? And baked, not fried? Hard to believe, huh?
My husband planted wide variety of potatoes this year: ton of fingerlings, purple Peruvians, russets, tera rosa reds, and many more. Some varieties did really well, some not so well. Nonetheless, we had a huge harvest! Look at these beauties!
After a long day of harvesting potatoes couple weeks ago, we had fried bunch of potato chips and ate them for dinner. Yep, that’s how we roll around here! Potato chips for dinner. To balance that out, we had fruit smoothies for breakfast the next morning. It’s all about balance, right?
We’ve been obsessed with these colorful potato chips for weeks now, and I needed to come up with slightly healthier version. Instead of deep-frying them, I baked them. And guess what? They were amazing! I was able to achieve the crispy perfection and wanted to share with you couple secrets.
- Super thin slices are a must. My husband used potato peeler to cut the potatoes into thin slices. Very smart and super efficient way to get thin slices. So use potato peeler!
- Do NOT salt the potatoes before baking. Salt them as soon as they come out of oven when they are still hot.
- To store the chips, put them in a paper bag. They stayed crispy for at least 24 hours. Not sure how long they would have stayed crispy, because they never lasted longer than a full day.
There you have it. Nothing innovative, just simple technique for crispy baked chips.
You can flavor it however you like. Rosemary, thyme, parmesan, bacon, possibilities are endless.
I threw in a few smashed garlic for very mild garlic flavor. For more garlic-y flavor you can actually rub the potato slices with garlic and season with garlic salt when they are baked.
These homemade chips are so crispy and addicting and they pair perfectly well with cold beer. Game day snack, anyone?
What is your favorite potato dish? Let me know in the comments.
Extra Crispy Baked Potato Chips
- 4 small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- Coarse kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using a potato peeler, slice the potatoes into super thin slices. Put the potato slices, olive oil and smashed garlic cloves in a ziplock bag. Shake well to coat the potatoes with oil.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer on two baking sheets. (I lined the baking sheets with my silicone mats for easy cleaning.) Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Immediately salt while the chips are still hot.