Fried till crispy golden perfection, these flavorful pork flautas are satisfying finger food for any occasion.
Got leftover pulled pork and tired of same ol’ pulled pork sandwiches?
You’re in luck, because these deliciously crispy pulled pork flautas need to happen right now!
What is flauta?
Flauta is a lightly fried flour tortilla filled with your favorite meat filling and rolled into a tube. You can swap corn tortilla for flour tortilla, and call it taquitos.
These little flavor bombs are also quite quick and easy to make.
You can doctor your filling however you like. Leftover pulled pork, and/or shredded chicken would work perfectly for flautas. Just add some cheese, cilantro and cumin!
Before frying the flautas, secure the seams with a toothpick so they don’t unwrap on you, just like so.
Serve them over shredded lettuce with your favorite Mexican condiments. Guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and chopped jalapeno, if you like some fire.
Leftover Pulled Pork Flautas
- 3 cups 1lbs/400gr leftover pulled pork* (Note 1)
- 1 ½ cups 120gr Mexican-style four cheese blend
- ½ cup 120gr crumbled Fresco (Mexican style crumbling cheese)
- 3 scallions thinly chopped
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 14 5- inch flour tortillas
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together pork, cheeses, scallions, cilantro and all the spices. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Place ¼ cup of filling on each tortilla and roll into a flute. Secure the seams with a toothpick.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- When oils is shimmering, carefully add 4-5 flautas and lightly fry on all sides until nice and golden. Transfer the fried flautas onto a baking sheet lined with a rack. Repeat with remaining flautas.
- Place the baking sheet with fried flautas in to the oven to keep them warm and crispy until ready to serve.
- Serve the flautas over shredded lettuce warm with sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published on November 19, 2014.