Bursting with crunchy, juicy and sweet corn kernels and ton of other fresh summer flavors, this simple corn salsa is a MUST-TRY!
Whoop, whoop! We’re celebrating sweet corns on the blog today!
Have you seen how much corn my lovely husband grew this year?? It’s kind of part of the garden, and that’s not even the whole field (What?!!). It’s been fun having friends and neighbors stop by the ranch to pick corns with the kids, chatting and hanging out, while biting into a fresh corn right then and there on the field. Making memories, you know.
While my mother-in-law was busy canning the corns, I’ve been enjoying them grilled, on the cob, Mexican-style (elopes, anyone?), sautéed with butter and zucchini, in corn chowder, and fritters! Oh and this deliciously fresh CORN SALSA.
Loads of sweet, juicy, crunchy little kernels and ton of other summer flavors, this simple corn salsa is the winner! Grab a bag of tortilla chips and a glass of cold beer!
I’ve tried making my salsa with both fresh corns (uncooked) and grilled ones, and we came to a conclusion that we love the extra flavor from grilled corns a bit more. But if you’re not in the mood to fire up the grill, that’s ok too. Or, try both ways and decide for yourself. 🙂
Just like in my mango salsa, I started with marinating the finely chopped red onion and jalapeño in fresh lime juice to get rid of the pungent flavors. If you love your salsa on spicy side, I suggest you to keep half of the seeds from the jalapeño. Removing all the seeds and membrane from the jalapeño makes the salsa not spicy at all.
Here’s step by step visuals for ya!
Don’t forget the avocado! It was greatly missed when I omitted it in one of the test batches. And, of course, lots of cilantro!! Fresh summer flavors, beautiful color and absolutely tasty dip for all summer long!
This salsa can be made a day in advance. If you do make it in advance, drizzle more lime juice right before serving to brighten up the flavors. Now, let’s dig in!
What’s your favorite sweet corn recipe?
As always, thanks for stopping by! 😉
Simple Corn Salsa
- 4 ears of sweet corn husks removed
- ¼ medium red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime juiced (about 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice)
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Grill the corns for 5-10 minutes, or until nicely charred.
- Finely chop the red onion. Cut the jalapeno in half, discard all or half of the seeds (depending how spicy you want your salsa*), and finely chop it.
- In a medium bowl, combined chopped onion, jalapeno and lime juice. Let it marinate for at least 5 minutes. (This will soften the pungent flavors.)
- Cut the tomato in half, remove the seeds and cut into small cubes. Cut the avocado into small cubes as well. Chop the cilantro**.
- Add the tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, olive oil and salt into the onion mixture. Mix well. Serve with tortilla chips.