Crispy crunchy chicken avocado egg rolls are the BEST as a lunch, as a snack, as an appetizer, in short, any time any where!
Egg rolls are my faaavorite! For many reasons… 1. The crispy crunchy outside is addicting. 2. Versatile, stuff-whatever-you-want filling is perfect to make with anything you have on hand. 3. Convenient and comforting food that satisfy everyone any time!
I especially love making the egg rolls when I have leftover roasted chicken. Simply shred the leftover chicken breast, or turkey breast (perfect the day after Thanksgiving!), sweat the shredded cabbage and mix the two together! Easy peasy, right? For pop of color, I added some roasted red pepper and avocado. They lend some great flavors too! Roasted red peppers, hello?!
Since I love cilantro so much, my egg rolls naturally jam packed with it! To top that, I made creamy cilantro dipping sauce. If you want simpler dipping sauce, just plain old soy sauce would be perfect. I actually prefer some low-sodium soy sauce for dipping.
As usual, here are step-by-step photos to show you how I roll my egg rolls. As far as egg roll wraps, you can find it in the refrigerator section at pretty much any supermarket. You can also find super-thin egg roll wraps in the freezer section at Asian supermarkets. They yield crispier egg rolls, but I usually use the regular wraps from my local supermarket. They work just fine.
Just a few tips to prevent greasy egg rolls.
1. When you prepare the filling, make sure it’s cooled and drained before you start making the rolls. This way the hot filling won’t soften the wrap, or you’ll get greasy egg rolls. Since the filling is pre-cooked, we only need to cook the rolls for about 2 minutes total.
2. When rolling the egg rolls, try to make them as tight as you can without any deep pockets on both ends. This will prevent the oil from sipping into the egg rolls.
3. Place the cooked egg rolls vertically in a bowl lined with paper towel. This helps the excess oil soak into the paper towel.
Now, get those egg rolls rolling!
Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls
For egg rolls:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage I used coleslaw mix without dressing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil optional
- 2 avocados cut into thin slices
- 1 roasted red bell pepper I used the canned one, thinly sliced
- 14 egg roll wraps 6x6inch
- 1 egg beaten
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
For dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- A few squirts of Sriracha
- In a medium skillet, sweat the cabbage with salt and pepper over medium heat until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess water and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix together cabbage, chicken, cilantro, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Place the chicken filling, avocado slices and red peppers around the work surface. Put the egg roll wrap on the work surface one at a time. Place a few slices of avocado and red bell pepper in the middle of the wrap top it with heaping 2 tablespoons of chicken filling. Fold the bottom corner over the filling and then fold in two side corners. Smear a little bit of egg wash on top corner and the sides. Now gently, yet tightly roll it. Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oil to 350°F (175°C). The oil should be at least ¾ inch deep. Place 4-5 egg rolls at a time and fry until golden brown and fry on other side, about 1.5-2 minutes total. Put the fried egg rolls vertically in the deep bowl lined with paper towel. Serve immediately.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients in a blender. Alternative dipping sauce: low-sodium soy sauce.