Delicately light and crispy, these 3-ingredient mozzarella sticks are so easy to make. Pair them with a side of great marinara and enjoy your game-day.
Umm, yeah, one of my most favorite appetizers might just be crispy, gooey mozzarella sticks. I love everything about them… Fresh-out-of-oil-crispness, hot gooey cheese, and, of course, flavorful marinara sauce.
The thing is I’m never motivated to make them myself. Too much work, dipping them into 3 coatings, plus deep-frying. No, thanks!
Then one day, as I was making whole loads of pork egg rolls, a thought struck me, “Why not wrap string cheese in these delicate wraps and deep-fry them??” I tested the idea right away.
And it sure worked beautifully! Then I got greedy and wanted to see if I can bake them. Honestly, it was just ok. Most of the time cheese oozed out, leaving a mess. Better deep-fried! ??
Here’s the secret to perfectly light and crispy mozzarella sticks. You wanna use large sheets of egg roll wraps (usually 8x8in), not small wonton wraps. Why? Because egg roll wraps are much more delicate, super thin and light!
They need to be treated with care too:
- Gently pull each wrap to separate. They tend to stick to each other easily, but gentle pull will do the trick.
- Make sure to cover them up with a wet paper towel at all times to prevent drying.
Since mozzarella string cheese is pretty skinny, we’ll need to cut each wrap in half, so that we don’t loose the cheese in layers of crispy wrap. 🙂
Also, you can make bunch of these in advance and freeze them before frying. Arrange rolled mozzarella sticks on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, with a little space in between, freeze, and then once frozen completely place in a ziplock bag.
You don’t need to defrost them before frying, just fry them a bit longer.
Now, how’s that for an easy appetizer?
In the recipe below, I’m not specifying how many wraps and string cheese you’ll need. It’s up to you to decide, ok?
3-Ingredient Mozzarella Sticks
- Egg roll wraps*
- Mozzarella string cheese
- Oil for deep-frying
- Unwrap the spring roll wrappers and cover with a wet paper towel to prevent drying out. Pour a little bit of water in a small dish.
- Cut each wrap in half. Place 1 string cheese on lower part of the wrap and roll as if you’re rolling a burrito, tucking the ends. Wet the outer edge and seal. Continue on with the rest of the cheese. Don’t stack them on top of each other, place them with a little space in between to prevent sticking to each other.
- Preheat the oil to 350°F (175°C). Fry the prepared mozzarella sticks until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Transfer the fried mozzarella sticks onto a baking sheet, lined with wire rack.