This pistachio buttercream is light and fluffy, easy to make and made with natural ingredients with no artificial flavors! Pure pistachio goodness!
So, you love pistachios? Me too!
I’ve got a treat for you!! This light and fluffy pistachio buttercream is crazy easy to make!
And you’ll love the burst of natural pistachio flavors, because we’re using pure pistachio paste to flavor this buttercream!
This buttercream doesn’t have any food coloring, thanks to vibrant homemade pistachio paste. Click here for my tutorial on how to make homemade pistachio paste.
How to make pistachio buttercream:
- Beat butter and pistachio paste until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar in 2 stages along with salt and whip until the frosting is nice and smooth and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
Why do you use unsalted butter?
I prefer unsalted butter because that way I’m in control of how much salt goes in to my buttercream frosting.
Different brands have different levels of saltiness. Especially, European butters are much saltier than American brands.
Tips for making buttercream icing fluffy:
- Room temperature butter is essential for making a fluffy buttercream. Leave butter out on the counter for about 1 hour prior to making the frosting.
- Beat butter and pistachio paste until fluffy and doubled in volume. And then add powdered sugar.
The proper butter consistency is important. You don’t want too soft, or too hard butter to make buttercream frosting. Here’s what room temperature butter means.
How to store buttercream:
- Store the frosting in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Or freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the frozen frosting in fridge overnight. Bring it to room temperature and whip it again in the mixer until fluffy.
Ways to use pistachio buttercream:
This buttercream is quite versatile. It complements just about anything. Here’re a few ideas for you:
- Mini chocolate layer cakes – adorable and delightful!
- Pistachio macarons – if you don’t want to mess with French buttercream filling.
- Frosting for ANY cakes and cupcakes, like this vanilla cupcakes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup pistachio paste Note 1
- 2 cups (250g) powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, combine butter and pistachio paste and beat on medium high heat for about 2 minutes, or until pale and fluffy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicone spatula half way through.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated.
- Then add the reamining powdered sugar and salt and start mixing on low speed. Gradually increase the speed to medium high and continue beating until the frosting is nice and smooth and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published on January 19th, 2015.