Soft and tender banana muffins with delicate moist crumbs and full of banana flavor! Simple one-bowl muffins in less than 30 minutes!
I halved my popular banana bread recipe, which makes 2 loaves, and made it into muffins!
The same amazing flavor, but in a convenient, portable size.
Muffins (regular and mini ones!) are especially popular among young kids!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple pantry ingredients
- Quick and easy to make – no special equipment required!
- Undeniable banana flavor
- Moist and tender texture
- Reduced sugar and butter without compromising on flavor
What’s the secret?
Using a frozen banana is the secret to moist and tender banana muffins.
As you may have noticed, my recipe doesn’t call for any liquids. And that’s not a mistake!
When you defrost frozen bananas, you’ll get lots of flavorful liquid along with mashed bananas. And that’s GOLD!!
Do NOT drain excess liquid from thawed bananas. Use it all in your batter for extra moist and flavorful muffins.
How to make banana muffins:
- Thaw frozen bananas (watch the video below for my preferred method of thawing) and mash them well.
- Add sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract into the mashed bananas.
- Now, add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until just combined. If desired, add in chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips.
- Divide into a muffin pan (12 regular muffins or 24 mini muffins) and bake.
I love adding toasted walnuts for added texture. However, my boys love it with chocolate chips. Naturally!
Why do you use baking soda in banana muffin?
So, it may sound weird that my banana muffin recipe calls for baking soda instead of baking powder while there’s no acid to react with in order to raise the batter.
Here’s the thing, baking soda is here not only as a leavening agent, but it also helps to brown the muffins beautifully.
So next time you have ripe bananas with black spots laying on your counter, throw them into the freezer. And then enjoy delicious banana muffins (or bread) later.
Easy Banana Muffins
- 4 frozen medium-to-large bananas thawed Note 1
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts optional
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray. (See note 2)
- In a large bowl, mash thawed bananas with a fork or wooden spoon.
- Add sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract, and mix everything until combined.
- Then add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add walnuts and chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes, or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
- Store muffins, covered, on the counter for up to 3 days.