There is so much to love about this simple almond yogurt cake. Delicate flavor, moist crumb, and it’s healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast! Super easy one-bowl cake anyone can make.
Cake for breakfast isn’t an everyday affair.
But when we’re talking about this beautiful almond yogurt cake, it’s totally an acceptable breakfast choice.
- If you don’t have almond flour, you can use all-purpose flour instead.
- I don’t recommend reducing sugar amount anymore than what the recipe calls for. I tested it with as little as 1/2 cup of sugar. And while it’s not bad, I preferred the one with 3/4 cup of sugar. It’s moister and more flavorful.
- Feel free to play around with different citrus zest. Orange zest, for example, pairs beautifully with almond!
How to make this simple cake:
It’s really easy to make this cake. No mixer required!
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Sift dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. And mix until just combined.
- Pour into a bread pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for about 55 minutes at 350°F, or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
I’ve tested this recipe with only almond flour. While it tasted delicious, I wouldn’t recommend it. 1. The cake is too heavy and dense. 2. It doesn’t hold its shape when sliced. It just crumbles.
Yes, this recipe has been tested with both 2% and 0% Greek yogurt, and the cake turns out just as great!
Yogurt helps to keeps baked goods moist. The acidity in yogurt activates the baking soda and makes cakes fluffy and light.
Seriously such an easy yogurt cake, yet so flavorful. That brown crust is the most satisfying too!!
Almond Yogurt Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cups (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (100g) almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup slivered almonds optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°F). Spray 8×5 bread pan with a cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat eggs, yogurt, oil and almond extract until smooth.
- Add sugar and lemon zest and continue beating until nice and smooth.
- Sift flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt over the yogurt mixture. Gently fold until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle slivered almonds on top, if desired.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.