This homemade whipped cream topping with a secret ingredient is sweet and tangy, fluffy and light, and outrageously delicious! It’s a game-changer!
Why you’ll love this whipped cream:
Guys, meet your new favorite topping for pies, cakes, crepes and pancakes!! You just have to trust me on this one and give it a try despite how weird it may sound at first.
I feel silly gushing over a simple whipped cream. But let me tell ya, this isn’t just a regular homemade whipped cream! We all know homemade whipped cream is better than store-bought stuff.
But you need to try this yogurt whipped cream asap!! That’s right, yogurt is the secret ingredient!
You’ll love the hint of tanginess that complements the sweetness and richness. I’ve been obsessed with this topping since 2015!!!
How to make this recipe:
I don’t understand why homemade whipped cream is not a thing? Or better question is “Why Cool Whip is still in business?”
Because it’s SO easy to whip up homemade whipped cream!
- Pour whipped cream straight from the fridge into a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and whip on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add Greek yogurt and vanilla extract and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Make sure to use cold heavy whipping cream straight from the fridges, as it whips quicker and fluffier!
Some even advice to chill the bowl and whisk for 10 minutes in a freezer. I don’t find it necessary with a stand mixer, but it’ll definitely help if you’re whipping it by hand.
And did I mention how versatile it is? You can add whatever flavorings you want. I’ve tried:
- Grand Marnier with orange zest – to die for!!!
- Amaretto – nutty and delicious!
- Almond extract – amazing! (A little bit goes a long way though!)
- And, of course, good ol’ vanilla extract!
- That’s not all. Use any flavored greek yogurt and BOOM!
Is heavy cream is the same as whipping cream?
No, heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream) has a higher milk fat percentage than whipping cream.
- Heavy whipping cream has at least 36% milk fat, and it’s ideal for homemade whipped cream!
- Whipping cream, on other hand, has 30-35% milk fat, and doesn’t thicken as good as heavy cream.
Can I decorate a cake with whipped cream?
Yes, you can decorate a cake with whipped cream frosting.
But you need to make it slightly different to make it more stable for piping intricate designs. I shared all the tips in my strawberry whipped cream frosting recipe.
What to Serve with Homemade Whipped Cream:
- Angel food cake
- Pavlova or these mini pavlovas
- Easy Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Mousse Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Homemade Banana Cream Pie
- Crepes or pancakes
- Homemade Cream Puffs
- Balsamic strawberries or even just fresh strawberries
- Roll Cake or Strawberry Matcha Roll Cake
- Berry Chantilly Cake
- Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
Can you tell I’m obsessed? 😉
Yogurt Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (240ml) cold heavy whipping cream Note 1
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar Note 2
- 1/2 cup (80g) Greek yogurt Note 3
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, whip heavy cream with sugar on medium high speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Add yogurt and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth and hard peaks form. (TIP: Don't walk away from the mixer, as it's easy to overwhip the whipped cream, which it'll turn grainy and separated.)
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published on August 28th, 2015.