These adorable mini pies burst with juicy, honey-glazed strawberries. Buttery pie crust and sprinkle of turbinado sugar make these pies an epitome of texture!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
I saw these strawberry mini pies recipe on Giada’s Food Network show many years ago. And I was immediately sold on the idea!! How can I not, right?
- These adorable mini pies are bursting with juicy, honey-glazed strawberries.
- And the contrast of buttery crust in every bite just sounds irresistible!!
- Mini pies are super fun to serve at the parties!
What you’ll need to make this recipe:
This strawberry pie recipe is super easy and requires simple ingredients.
- Pie crust – You can definitely use store-bought pie dough, that’s what Giada used. But you know me, I don’t cheat on my homemade pie dough. It’s the best thing ever!!
- Tapioca starch – One thing I learned from Giada’s show is that cornstarch mixed with citrus juice tends to make the mixture a bit grainy. Hmm, who knew! That’s why Giada suggested using arrowroot starch, but I didn’t have any, so I subbed tapioca starch for it. It worked perfectly.
- Turbinado sugar – It adds a nice texture to the crust, but it’s totally optional!
There’re a few tools you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Muffin pan – I use this 24-cup mini muffin pan. If you need to use regular muffin pan, you’ll need to cut bigger circles and make fewer pies.
- Cookie cutter – This’s my one and only round cookie cutter set, which comes in handy all the time! I use 3-inch and 2-inch circle cutters for this recipe.
- Pastry brush is another handy tool for brushing on egg wash on the pastries. I prefer this silicone brush over wooden ones, where you find bristle everywhere.
How to make these mini pies:
- Mix chopped strawberries with honey, lemon juice and tapioca starch.
- Roll pie dough into a thin circle. Then cut out 20 3-inch circles and 20 2-inch circles.
- Line muffin cups with bigger pie dough circles, fill with strawberry mixture and then top with smaller dough circles. Press the edge with a fork.
- Brush on egg wash, sprinkle some turbinado sugar and make a small slit on top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the pies are nice and golden.
It might look like it’s a tedious process to make these mini pies, but I promise, it’s not. I made these during short nap times, so anyone can do it!
Serve these strawberry pies with tangy yogurt whipped cream for an unforgettable summer dessert!
Store these mini pies in a fridge, in an air-tight container, for up to 3 days.
These would be perfect for all the upcoming summer get-togethers! Memorial Day, 4th of July, and everything in between.
Mini Strawberry Pies
- 10-12 medium fresh strawberries chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon tapioca starch Note 1
- 2 9-inch pie crusts Note 2
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray mini muffin pan with a cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped strawberries, honey, lemon juice and tapioca starch.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into 1/8-inch thin disk. (If you're using store-bought pie crust, then simply roll it out.) Using 3-inch cookie round cutter, cut out 20 circles. Gather the scraps and roll out a thin disk. Now, using 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 20 circles.
- Mold 3-inch pie crusts into mini muffin cups. Fill each pie with 1 teaspoon of strawberries.
- Brush on beaten egg around the pie crust edges and place 2-inch pie circles.
- Using a fork, press the edges of the pie together. And brush the tops of each pie with beaten egg.
- Make a small slit on each pie and sprinkle some turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool the pies in the pan for about 30 minutes. Then remove from pan and serve with whipped cream on the side.
Tips & Notes:
Refrigerate these mini pies, covered, for up to 3 days. These pies don’t freeze well.
Leave a Review