Super flaky piecrust cups filled with honey glazed juicy sweet strawberries and bejeweled with turbinado sugar. Top these mini strawberry pies with tangy yogurt whipped cream for an unforgettable summer dessert!
One of the advantages of having pre-made pie dough in the freezer is that you can make these cute little mini pies whenever inspiration strikes. True story.
This post is inspired by another Food Network show. I know, I know. You might think I should actually start working on developing new recipes, instead of copying others. But you know what? I don’t really believe in completely original recipes. I believe recipes are meant to be shared and that’s exactly why I run my blog. And if I made and loved someone’s recipe, you bet I’ll share it with you here. With the proper credits, of course.
That being said, I watched Giada make these adorable little strawberry pies couple months ago on Food Network. Luckily, I happened to have fresh strawberries on hand and it was no brainer to make them right away. I practically inhaled the first batch and happily made it again to share with you. Or was that a real reason I made it again?
You’ll need just handful of basic ingredients here, but they’re all the right ones. You can definitely use store-bought pie dough, that’s what Giada used. But you know me, I don’t cheat on my homemade pie dough. It’s the best thing ever!!
One thing I learned from that episode is that cornstarch mixed with citrus juice tends to make the mixture a bit grainy. Hmm, who knew! That’s why Giada suggested to use arrowroot starch, but I didn’t have any, so I subbed tapioca starch for it. It worked perfectly.
It might look like it’s too tedious process to make the mini pies, but I promise, it’s not. If I can make it during short nap time (my lovebug only naps for 30mins!), anyone can do it! Besides they’re so adorable and more delicious this way. More flaky pie crust for each bite, honey glazed strawberries, slight crunch from Turbinado sugar. I love the contrasting textures and balanced flavors in these poppable mini pies. Oh and top them with my tangy yogurt whipped cream for an unforgettable dessert!
These would be perfect for all the upcoming summer get-togethers! Memorial Day, 4th of July and everything in between.
And the best part is this recipe is pretty flexible. I think next time I’ll try it with mixed berries topped with vanilla ice cream.Or maybe honey raspberry with lemon curd? Oh my, possibilities are endless. What spin would you put on these mini pies?
Hope you enjoyed my today’s recipe. Thank you for reading!
Mini Strawberry Pies
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray mini muffin pan with a cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, lemon juice and tapioca starch.
- Cut the strawberries into small cubes.
- Combine the strawberries with honey mixture in medium bowl. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into 1/8-inch thin disk.
- Using 3-inch cookie round cutter, cut out 20 circles.
- Gather the scrapes and roll out thin disk.
- Now, using 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 20 circles.
- Mold 3-inch pie crusts into mini muffin cups.
- Fill each pie with 1 teaspoon of strawberries.
- Brush on beaten egg around the pie crust edges and place 2-inch pie circles.
- Using a fork, press the edges of the pie together.
- Brush the top of each pie with beaten egg.
- Make a small slit on each pie and sprinkle some turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve the pies with whipped cream. Store in fridge, covered, for up to 3 days.