Yes, you can use instant oatmeal in your cookies! Instant flavor upgrade, and no chilling required. Try these super easy apple cinnamon instant oatmeal cookies today!
I have to admit, I’m not a huge oatmeal fan. If I have to, I’ll eat it, but it’ll never be my first choice for breakfast, for cookies, for anything… Well, except in buttery crumb toppings in pies, bars and crisps.
My husband, on other hand, loves it!
I remember when he went to Mongolia for a month back in the day, he made sure to pack some of those instant oatmeal packets, for a little taste of home. It’s sure convenient, tasty breakfast on the go, especially when you’re away from home.
So as you can imagine, when Garrat brought home a giant box of assorted instant oatmeal packets, I wasn’t thrilled. It took some time for us to go through it all. To speed up the consumption and free up some pantry space, I started experimenting with them. Garrat suggested I make cookies. First, I thought, you can’t use instant oatmeal in cookies. That’s a no-no! But then on second thought, why not? Because I’ll miss the real oat flavor? I can live with that!
After 5 (FIVE!) revisions, I finally landed on perfectly dense, chewy and full of flavor oatmeal cookies. Since the instant oatmeal packets are already sweet enough, we’re adding just a little bit of sugar for chewy texture and added moisture. Without additional sugar, the cookies were just lackluster.
Since perfecting the recipe, I’ve made these cookies many, many times. No one ever complained about lack of real oat flavor. My guess is that additional flavors have something to do with that! My favorite was apple & cinnamon, but you could use any flavors you like, or even mix n’ match. Maple & brown sugar was super good too.
I’m sure you have some instant oatmeal packets laying around. Go get them and start baking, because you’re gonna love them. Oh, and they smell amazing too!!
Are you an oatmeal person? Even if you’re not, I know you’ll love these cookies!
Thanks for reading.
Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal Cookies
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (65g) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (40g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 packets apple & cinnamon instant oatmeal Note 1
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups add-ins like M&Ms, chocolate chips, nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, place butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed until nice and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix another minute or so.
- Add instant oatmeal, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in add-ins of your choice. I used 1 cup of M&Ms and ½ cup of chopped pecans here.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon of dough), shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place 8 cookies per baking sheet. Flatten the cookies slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, or until the edges are set, one sheet at a time. The cookies will look a bit under-baked, but they’ll set nicely once cooled.
- Cool the cookies on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for up to 5 days (if they last that long!)