This post is sponsored by Cobblestone Bread Co. All opinions are mine alone.
Extra cheesy Philly cheese steak grilled cheese – an easy, yet indulgent dinner in less than 15 minutes!
“What’s your favorite American food?” is the question I get asked a lot. Some of you know I uprooted myself from my home country, Mongolia, 10+ years ago.
When I was in college here in U.S., I used to work at our cafeteria. And one of my duties was to do prep work for lunch, mostly peeling and chopping veggies. Pretty mundane! But one day they put me in front of a huge griddle and had me make grilled cheese sandwiches. At the time, I had no idea what it was, but I thought it was kind of bizarre to layer cheese slices on bread. Then my first bite happened and everything made sense!
Yeah, grilled cheese is my favorite American food! It always brings back fun memories from my first year in America. Since then I’ve made countless variations of grilled cheese. And I’m so excited to share with you one of my favorites!
You guys know how I love Philly cheese steak sandwiches and cheese. (Remember, those cute Philly cheese steak sliders??)
Well, imagine how indulgent these grilled cheese sandwiches, stuffed with thinly sliced steak and extra cheese, are! Out of this world!!!
And it comes together in less than 15 minutes! Because grilled cheese should never take long to make, right?
As I mentioned earlier, this is a super simple recipe.
And I want to share a few tips to make the best grilled cheese in no time:
- Make sure to slice the meat into super thin slices. Almost like shaved. To achieve that, you’ll need semi-frozen steak and a sharp knife. I’ll include the detailed directions in the recipe below. Thinly sliced meat cooks in minutes.
- I prefer mayo to butter to put on bread slices. But it’s totally up to you which one you choose, but whatever you do, don’t skip this step. Buttering, or mayo-ing (?) the bread yields super crispy, almost caramelized texture that’s crucial for a good grilled cheese! I’d even say, forget the melted cheese, that caramelized crunch is the best part of grilled cheese, which brings us to the next point…
- Choose the right bread! Today, I’m featuring Cobblestone Bread Co. Million Dollar White Bread. Because this bread is meant for grilled cheese! So buttery soft, yet sturdy enough to hold all the cheesy goodness between the layers! But honestly, I could eat it on its own with just a layer of butter. It’s that good!
- Anyway, back to grilled cheese tips! Don’t skip American cheese slices on each inner side of the bread. Otherwise, it won’t stick together. And I mean, who would say no to extra cheese anyway? Not I!
And there you have it. The best grilled cheese in the world, packed with steak and extra cheese, in less than 15 minutes!
Oh, one more reason I love this Cobblestone bread so much. It’s the perfect size bread for a small family like ours! No more stale old bread, hanging out at the end of line. 🙂
Hope you’ll enjoy this Philly cheese steak grilled cheese SOON!
15-Minute Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add thinly sliced steak and sprinkle salt. Cook the meat until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add grated provolone cheese.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of mayo on one side of each bread slice.
- Heat a skillet on medium high.
- Place a slice of bread with mayo side down.
- Layer one slice of American cheese, then ¼ of steak and cheese mixture, another slice of American cheese and top with second slice of bread with mayo side up.
- Once the bottom bread is nicely browned, carefully flip the entire sandwich. (I used 2 spatulas to keep everything in place.)
- Cook the sandwich until the cheese is melted and bread is nicely browned, pressing it with spatula to flatten the sandwich.
- Continue with the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.