Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
Messy little Philly cheese steak sliders are irresistibly cheesy and flavorful, perfect for your game day menu!
While pumpkin-everything are popping up everywhere (including my blog), let’s take a break for a moment and enjoy some savory goodness, like this Philly cheese steak sliders. On PRETZEL rolls! These cheesy, meaty sliders are perfect for game day menu, as well as weekday dinner.
As you know, Philly cheese steak sandwich is known for its super thinly sliced (or should I say, shaved?) meat, which is a little hard to achieve without a meat slicer.
But I have a trick that my mom taught me early on. (One of my chores was to help mom to cook dinner, and for some reason, slicing and mincing the meat was my job.)
Anyway, first, you’ll need a good sharp knife. Second, the meat has to be semi-frozen, just firm enough to shave off the thin slices. If you’ve got fresh meat from the store, simply place the meat in the freezer for 30-45 minutes to firm up.
And here is step-by-step photo instructions to make the sliders.
Loaded with tender thin steaks, sautéed mushrooms and peppers, and topped with lots of cheese, these sliders are simply irresistible!
Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
Yield: 8 sliders
- 1lb ribeye steak (or any kind of steak), semi-frozen
- 4-5 white or cremini mushrooms (about 2 cups chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (about 1 cup chopped)
- ¼ red onion (about ¼ cup chopped)
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 Pretzel slider buns
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the steak into very thin slices. (I’m using rib eye steak, because it’s the most flavorful steak, but you can use any tender cut.) It’s easier to shave off thin slices, if the meat is semi-frozen. Simply place the fresh meat in the freezer for 30-45 minutes to firm up. Slice the mushrooms, bell pepper and onion into thin slices/strips as well.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Stir in the onion and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of salt. Transfer the vegetables onto a clean plate. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and thinly sliced steak into the skillet. Season the meat with remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook the steak for about 3 minutes, until nicely browned. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Slice the pretzel rolls in half crosswise and spread the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter on each cut side of the buns. Place the buns buttered side down on the hot skillet and toast for about a minute.
- To assemble the sliders, divide the meat among 8 slider buns, place half of the cheese, then veggie mixture and the remaining cheese.
- Right before serving, broil until the cheese melts, 1-2 minutes.
- Replace the top of the slider buns and serve!
Snap a photo and submit it here. OR
Share it on IG with #sweetandsavorybyshinee
All photographs and content on Sweet & Savory by Shinee is copyright protected, unless otherwise noted. Please do not use any of my photos without my authorization. If you would like to share my recipe, you may re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the full directions. Thank you for your cooperation!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: