Made with unsweetened almond milk and dark chocolate, spiced with warm aromatics, like cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, this lighter hot chocolate is ideal for treating yourself frequently all winter long.
It might be December already, but the weather is like early November around here in ND, which is totally unusual. The streets are empty, trees are bare, not a single patch of snow in sight. I really hope to get some snow for Christmas though. Otherwise, it’d be totally boring, don’t you think?
As I grew up in Mongolia, known by its brutally cold winters, I absolutely can’t imagine winter holidays without snow. Lots of fluffy white snow! ❄️❄️❄️ To those in warmer climate, I might sound completely nuts, I know. A few years back, I spent all winter in Los Angeles. And though there were beautiful Christmas tree at The Grove and all the holiday decorations, it felt so fake to me. I wanted snow. But then again, who am I kidding, I have love and hate relationship with it. Once the streets are covered with ice and snow, I quickly regret my wish. Story of my life…
OMG, why am I talking about snow?? Maybe I actually miss snow? Maybe secretly, deep down, I’m waiting for an epic snow storm, so we all get locked up inside, curled up under the thickest blanket with a warm cup of soul-warming, comforting hot chocolate?
Maybe… But guess what, don’t wait for the snow storm. You don’t need an excuse to treat yourself to a good hot chocolate. Especially when we’re talking about almond hot chocolate, spiced with warm and cozy aromatics, like cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.
My spiced almond hot chocolate isn’t thick-and-rich kind that you’ll find at the famous Cafe Angelina in Paris. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved their hot chocolate (and of course, I had to get their beautiful cup and saucer set for myself ??). But let’s be honest, that kind of thick hot chocolate should be reserved for very special occasions.
For every day hot chocolate, I prefer a bit lighter version, like this one. Made with unsweetened almond milk and high-quality dark chocolate (I use Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate) and spiced with warm spices, this lighter hot chocolate is ideal for every day treat. Ok, maybe not every day, weekly?
Hope you give this a try. I know, you’ll love it!
Spiced Almond Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups 960ml unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 12 oz 340gr high-quality semi-sweet chocolate
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup heavy cream heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a medium pot, simmer the milk with spices over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chocolate until it’s melted. Remove from heat and add a small pinch of salt (it sharpens the flavor nicely).
- While the milk is simmering, whip the heavy cream with sugar using an electric mixer until hard peaks form.
- Divide the hot chocolate into 4 cups. Top with dollop of prepared whipped cream. If desired, decorate with slivered almonds and chocolate curls. Enjoy!