This sparkling blueberry lemonade has a perfect balance of sweet and tangy. You only need 4 ingredients to make this big-batch summer drink!
Why make plain lemonade when you could be enjoying a sparkling blueberry lemonade? Bursting with flavor, this party drink is always a hit!!
How this recipe came about:
This drink was created back in 2014 by accident. I had made a blueberry syrup to use up an abundance of fresh blueberries. And since I didn’t have any particular use for it, I added it to random things, like my lemonade along with some club soda.
And oh my goodness, was it good! A little tart, perfectly sweet, and slightly sparkling! Perfection!!
It was immediately a huge hit!
- Blueberries – You can use fresh or frozen blueberries for this recipe.
- Lemon juice – Forget about frozen lemonade concentrate or that plastic lemon bottle stuff! Always choose freshly squeezed lemon juice. Juicer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer makes this job super easy!
- Club soda – I love that it doesn’t add sweetness, just pure refreshing bubbles! You can also use seltzer water instead.
Don’t care for carbonation? Just substitute water for club soda!
How to make this recipe:
1. Make blueberry syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries and sugar with 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, mashing the berries along the way.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and let it cool.
Make sure to press the blueberry pulp well to extract as much syrup as possible. You should get about a cup of blueberry syrup.
2. Make lemonade:
- In a large pitcher, combine fresh lemon juice and blueberry syrup.
- Right before serving, add club soda and serve over ice.
- You can make the blueberry lemonade up to 5 days in advance. Store the mixture in the fridge, covered.
- Add club soda right before serving.
Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) fresh lemon juice Note 1
- 3 cups (720ml) club soda
To make blueberry syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of water, blueberries and sugar and bring it to boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, mashing the berries as you cook them.
- Run the mixture through a sieve to remove pulp. Set aside to cool. This yields about a cup of blueberry syrup.
To make lemonade:
- In a large pitcher, combine lemon juice and blueberry syrup.
- Add club soda right before serving. Serve over ice.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published on May 23, 2014.