This blueberry lemon cake, loaded with fresh blueberries and glazed with sweet and tangy lemon cream cheese frosting, is light and tender, perfect summer treat!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I was swimming in the sea of blueberries, apricots and peaches last week!
I dehydrated most of my peaches and apricots to enjoy throughout winter. (If they make it till winter, of course! They are addicting good to snack on.)
I also made absolutely delicious blueberry banana bread, two of this blueberry lemon cake, and enjoyed some fresh blueberry smoothies. Oh, how much I love summer and all the fresh fruits that come with it.
If someone will ask me what is the best summer cake, I’d say this blueberry lemon cake! No doubt about it!
Lots of fresh blueberries, fresh lemon aroma, sweet and soft crumbs… So much deliciousness is happening here!
As I mentioned above, I made this cake twice last week.
First time around, I had some issues: the batter was a little too much and a bit runny, thus most of the blueberries sunk to the bottom. It tasted finger-licking good though! My mom, my husband and I inhaled it just as soon as it had cooled. I didn’t even get a chance to snap a photo! I was thinking to post a photo with a caption “Fail of the Day”, but it was not a fail, just an ugly duckling.
Now that I fixed the issue, I’m ready to share the recipe with you. Finger-licking delicious AND picture-perfect!
There is no complicated technique involved, no special equipment required. Just a regular mixer will do the job. Step-by-step photos are here for your viewing pleasure. 🙂
So if you have some blueberries hanging out in your fridge, it’s time to put them into a delicious cake. Have fun!
Blueberry Lemon Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus one tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 113gr unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup 200gr sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 2 cups fresh blueberries washed and dried
- 3 oz 85gr cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray 9×5-inch loaf pan with a cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 and ½ cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until nice and fluffy. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add half of the flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Then stir in the Greek yogurt. And finally add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Gently mix in the blueberries into the batter. Transfer it into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on wire rack for 15 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the lemon cream cheese glaze. In a mixing bowl, beat all the ingredients until smooth. Add more milk for thinner glaze, if desired. Glaze the cake once it’s completely cooled.