Caramel Buttercream Frosting
With just 3 ingredients, you can whip up this easy caramel buttercream recipe in less than 5 minutes.
Ok, maybe this is not true caramel buttercream since I’m using dulce de leche here. However, this caramel buttercream is nothing short of real caramel buttercream. I’ve always been a huge fan of caramel AND dulce de leche. To me they are pretty much the same. I get it, they are two different things, one is melted cooked sugar (for the lack of better description) and the other one is basically sweetened milk. They both taste great to me, sweet caramel deliciousness.
I do take time to make real caramel sauce for my caramel rolls, or apple cinnamon rolls. But I reach for can of dulce de leche if I’m making buttercream frosting, or caramel cheesecake. Besides, dulce de leche is nice and thick, which makes perfect buttercream to frost cupcakes.
You can use any dulce de leche, or make one yourself. It’s super easy. I shared how I do it here. Let me know if you try this caramel buttercream recipe.
by spoonful on your favorite cake or cupcakes…
I used this caramel buttercream on my Salted Caramel Mini Layer Cakes.
- ½ cup (115gr) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (250gr) powdered sugar
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- Beat the butter in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until well combined.
- Stir in dulce de leche and continue to beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag with a decorative tip.