These sweet and spicy chicken skewers are ridiculously easy to make, yet super tasty! Without Sriracha, it’s a huge hit with little ones too!
Raise your hand if you love sweet & spicy combination!! Yes, I thought you’re a fan!!
Even if you’re not into spicy food, or someone in the family doesn’t like it, these chicken skewers are still pretty delicious without Sriracha!
My kids (4 and 2) are huge fans of these skewers. They call it “sweet chicken on sticks”! Oh is it fun to serve it to them!!!
Sweet & spicy chicken skewers ingredients:
- Chicken – You can totally use dark cuts for this recipe, but I usually use boneless, skinless chicken breast, because it cooks fast!
- Garlic and ginger add so much flavor to this chicken dish.
- Honey is also essential ingredient for the sauce. I highly recommend using raw honey, as it’s more flavorful and natural. (Did you know regular commercial honey in the grocery stores is more honey-flavored corn syrup than honey? Check out the ingredient list!)
- Soy sauce – I use regular Kikkoman’s All-Purpose soy sauce. This informative article talks about different types of soy sauce.
- Sriracha adds that nice kick! But as mentioned above, you can completely omit it to keep it kid-friendly.
- Garnishes, like lime and cilantro, add great flavor, but completely optional.
How to make sweet & spicy chicken skewers:
So I have to admit, this’s hardly a recipe. I basically mix bunch of Asian flavors into a quick sauce, marinate the chicken pieces in the said sauce and bake, or grill, or air-fry them!
Not that you need any step-by-step photos for this recipe, but here they are anyway just to demonstrate how easy they are to make!
If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
You don’t even have to thread them if you don’t want to. But my kids love them on sticks, so I usually do.
What to serve with chicken skewers:
These chicken skewers are so versatile and pairs perfectly with pretty much anything.
Here’re my top suggestions:
- Any kind of rice (here’s how to cook rice in Instant Pot)
- Quinoa or pearl couscous
- Cucumber mango salad
- Or serve it as an appetizer with lime wedges
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Skewers
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Note 1
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce Note 2
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- ½ tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Lime wedges optional
- Fresh cilantro optional
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, Sriracha, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Cut chicken breast into bite-size cubes, about 1-inch. Place them in a bowl and pour in the marinade. Mix well and marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Thread the marinated chicken cubes into the skewers, about 4-5 pieces on each. Arrange the chicken skewers on a baking sheet, lined with a foil.
- Bake chicken skewers until fully cooked, 15-20 minutes, turning the skewers half way.
- Place the skewers in an air-fryer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through, at 375°F, turning the skewers half way.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Lightly oil the grates and grill the chicken skewers for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
Tips & Notes:
Leave a Review