Mini Caramel Lava Cakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
My mini caramel lava cakes will satisfy your sweet tooth for chocolate, caramel and cake, all with just one bite!
If you love chocolate and caramel as much as I do, you’re in for a treat, my friend! It’s no secret that I love chocolate. My treat drawer (everyone has a treat drawer, right?) and pantry are filled with Ghirardelli, Dove, Snickers, Kit-Kats, basically anything and everything with chocolate! But this time of year, before Easter, is special time for me to stock up on my all-time favorite CARAMEL EGGS.
Some of you might argue that crème eggs are the best. But listen, you need to get these caramel eggs just this one time at least, and make these mini caramel lava cakes. Just look that! ↓↓↓
Convinced? Good. Now let’s talk about the recipe.
After 5 batches in 1 week, I can proudly say that this recipe is to-dye for! After my first couple of trials and errors, I thought I’d be sick of chocolate anything for a while, but my last 3 trials proved me wrong. I fell even more in love with chocolate! And caramel too…
First thing first, we need to cut out small circles to line the muffin pan. Why not to use cupcake liners, you ask? 1. These are not cupcakes. 2. Liners are cumbersome to remove later. 3. Lava cakes are not wrapped in paper cups. But you do need to line the bottom of each cup, trust me.
Moving on to the batter. We need to take our time to beat the eggs with sugar and vanilla until the batter is tripled in size, thick and white. With my stand mixer, it took me about 5 minutes. We want nice and aerated mixture. This is crucial for light and fluffy texture of the cake, so no cheating here. When we add the remaining ingredients, gently fold the mixture to keep as much air as possible in the batter.
I tested the recipe with both frozen and not frozen caramel eggs, and learned that frozen candies perform much better.
When you revert the mini cakes, it’s totally normal if they sink in the middle. The caramel egg is simply collapsed, but all the ooye-gooye caramel is still there, I promise.
These mini cakes are so tender and delicate. Filled with my favorite mini caramel eggs and baked for just 7 minutes, these babies need to be served immediately! Preferably with fresh berries and homemade vanilla ice cream!
Mini Caramel Lava Cakes
- 2 tablespoons 16gr all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons 12gr natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup 65gr sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons 57gr unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 oz 115gr semi-sweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 9 mini Cadbury Mini Caramel Eggs frozen for at least couple hours
- Powdered sugar for dusting if desired
- Fresh berries or vanilla ice cream for serving, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut out 9 small circles out of parchment paper and line the bottom of muffin pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, place eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium high for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick, white and tripled in size. (Alternatively, you can beat the mixture with handheld electric mixer, but it’ll take slightly longer, about 8 minutes.)
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof medium bowl and place it over simmering water. Melt chocolate and butter, stirring with rubber spatula, until smooth. Let it cool slightly, and then add it to the egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the mixture. Add the flour mixture and continue to fold until combined.
- Divide the batter into 9 muffin cups about halfway up. (I used this large cookie scoop, one scoop for each cup.)
- Put one caramel egg in the center of each cupcake. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Transfer onto wire rack for 1-2 minutes, then place a cookie sheet on top and revert. Transfer the mini cakes onto serving plate using a spatula. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with fresh berries, or vanilla ice cream, if desired.