Crazy easy Instant Pot sausage stuffing in less than 1 hour. No more fighting for oven space to make a flavorful stuffing for your Thanksgiving feast!
Oh my goodness, you guys, I thought I’d never say this, but man, do I love stuffing! Or is it a dressing?
Regardless of which term you use, I have to say I have a winner stuffing recipe for you.
In the past years, I’ve never cooked stuffing myself. And I always asked someone to bring it to the dinner. Because I was always like “meh, it’s just a stuffing”… Plus, I don’t have an oven room to make one anyway, since we never stuff our turkey. I’m sure you can relate to this.
Well, since I’m so obsessed with my Instant Pot, I decided to explore this idea of cooking sausage stuffing in an electric pressure cooker. It took me
*only* 5 test runs many tests and re-tests to confirm this stuffing is legit!
Notes from recipe testing:
Last year (2017), I created this recipe in my older Instant Pot, which is now discontinued. I was able to cook my stuffing straight in its stainless steel insert without any issue. However, thanks to my readers’ feedback, I learned that this recipe didn’t work in newer Instant Pot models.
Sooo I got a new Instant Pot (<- this exact model) and re-created the recipe. Now this Instant Pot sausage stuffing recipe is fool-proof!!!
We’re using Pot-in-Pot cooking method using this stackable steamer insert pans. And because we’re using both pans, we can make a full batch of stuffing, enough to feed a crowd! Yay!!!
Here’re step by step photos to walk you through the process.
We’ll cook the sausage and vegetables in the stainless steel insert first.
Then add the hot sausage mixture over the dry stuffing bread, so the bread softens a little bit.
Meanwhile, we’ll whisk the eggs and chicken stock together and then pour it over the bread and sausage mixture.
And lastly we’ll divide the stuffing into 2 stackable steamer pots and place them in Instant Pot.
Note. I did place the lid over the top inserted pot after I placed the stacked pots in the Instant Pot.
Oh and I’m happy to report no one protested an excessive amount of stuffing. Because we use the leftovers in this delicious leftover stuffing breakfast casserole.
Instant Pot Sausage Stuffing
- 1 lb Italian sausage removed from casings (I used mild Italian sausage)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 medium celery ribs chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves finely chopped
- 10 cups 10oz/300gr plain stuffing bread (Note 1)
- 1 cup 240ml chicken or turkey stock, divided
- 3 large eggs
- Place the stuffing bread in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot* to sauté.
- Add the sausage and cook it, breaking it up, until cooked, about 10 minutes. (If sausage is sticking too much, add ¼ cup of water.)
- Transfer the sausage onto a plate.
- Add butter into the Instant Pot.
- Once butter is melted, add onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasonings and parsley and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sausage. Then transfer the mixture into the bowl with stuffing bread. If possible, cover it, so that bread gets warmed up and softens.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and chicken stock.
- Pour it over the bread and sausage mixture and toss to combine.
- Replace the stainless steel insert back into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet and pour at least 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid, make sure it's in sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, high pressure, 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release, and carefully remove the inserted pans.
This recipe was originally published on November 8th, 2017.
don’t miss a recipe!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: