This post was written in partnership with Idaho® Potato. All opinions are mine alone.
You’re gonna love these individual potato packets loaded with roasted garlic and ooey gooey cheese. Because these are convenient, easy and absolutely tasty! One secret ingredient takes these potatoes from good to great.
Here’s the third and last grilling recipe to end the week of grilling just in time for Labor Day.
We had grilled chicken, grilled ribeye (have you entered that awesome giveaway??) and now we have a nice side dish to go with it all. Grilled potato packets, you guys!
Conveniently prepared in single serving packets, these potatoes are cooked right on the grill. We slice the potatoes into thin slices so that they cook nice n’ quick. Garlic slices infuse each packet with its aromatic sweet flavor, as they slowly roast over the grill.
And the secret ingredient that breaths life into these packets is liquid smoke! As you can imagine, grilling the potatoes in packets doesn’t lend any of that amazing flavors from the grill. So the liquid smoke comes to rescue! Now it’s potent stuff here, but when used properly, it adds deep smoky flavor to everything it touches.
Be extra careful when measuring the liquid smoke, because you can easily ruin the dish by adding a little too much of it. And trust me, you don’t wanna ruin these fine potato packets!
Hope you have a fantastic Labor Day weekend. Thanks for reading!
Grilled Cheesy Garlic Potato Packets
- 8 medium Idaho® potatoes washed and peeled, if desired
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese* grated
- 1-2 scallions sliced for garnish, optional
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Thinly slice the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with olive oil, liquid smoke and seasonings.
- Prepare 4 large sheets of foil, preferably heavy duty, or double the regular foil.
- Divide the potatoes between prepared foils.
- Place the sliced garlic over the potatoes.
- Close each packet tightly and grill on medium for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Carefully open the packets and immediately top the potatoes with cheese.
- Let the cheese melt for a couple of minutes and serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle some scallions for garnish.
Leave a Review