This basic buttercream filling is perfect all-purpose buttercream filling. I mostly use this filling for my french macarons.
Here is the step-by-step photo direction.
Pretty simple, yet absolutely delicious buttercream filling.
Basic Buttercream Filling
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup 50gr sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup 115gr unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly with a whisk and add sugar. Continue to whisk until the mixture is pale and sugar is mostly dissolved. Stir in the milk.
- Transfer the egg yolk mixture into a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently. Continue to cook until it’s thick like pudding, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture back to the bowl and bring it to room temperature.
- Stir in the butter in three batches.
- Add vanilla extract and continue to mix until smooth.