Baby Grant: 8-week Update
It’s been exactly 8 weeks since I’ve become a mom.
8 weeks of witnessing a rapid growth of a tiny human.
8 weeks of sleeping in 1-2-hour increments at night.
8 weeks of pure joy filled with enormous amount of love. Truly!
My post-baby story may not be the same to what we usually hear: sleep deprived exhausted mom going through baby blues, etc. Nope, that wasn’t me.
Yes, I no longer sleep uninterrupted 7 hours at night. But I do get those 7 hours of sleep with 30-60-minute breaks every 1-2 hours! Luckily, I have a luxury of spending 10-12 hours for sleep. I’m not bragging or anything, but I just don’t want to paint a picture that I didn’t really experience, you know. I was able to truly enjoy my time with my little boy these first few weeks thanks to my mom, who came all the way from Mongolia to help me to transition into this new role, new life of mine. Honestly, I don’t know how I’d have done it without her. Thanks to her, I was able to savor and enjoy every waking moment of being a mom. (Thanks, mom! I love you!)
And guess what, my baby’s turning 2 months in a few days! Crazy!! I can hardly believe it! It feels like it’s been a lifetime since I had him, yet it went by in a blink of an eye!
I remember the very first night at home so clearly: not being able to fall asleep, just staring at my beautiful baby to make sure he’s sleeping comfortably and that his little belly is going up and down. My body begged for sleep, but my mind was all wired. If you have a baby, I’m sure you can relate, or am I the weird one? My husband had to take him to another room so I could get some shut eye. He promised he’ll watch him non-stop. Now, I sleep when baby sleeps, but the lightest peep from him wakes me up right away. Who am I?? I don’t even recognize myself.
Anyway, Grant has changed and grew so much in the last 8 weeks. And here’re the highlights:
1) At this point, Grant has doubled his birth weight. He’s our chubby chubs. From the looks of it, he’s going to have some serious rolls. Our future sumo wrestler.
2) He is cooing!!! We love, love when he is in a talkative mood! If you’re on snapchat, you’ve probably seen it too. 🙂
3) Couple weeks ago, my baby boy surprised me with a conscious, wide-awake smile while looking at me!! His happy toothless grin made me so happy that I even had a happy tear in my eyes. If he isn’t in his usual serious thinking mode, he gives everyone big happy smiles now. Too cute, I can’t even handle it…
4) He’s also starting to focus on things now… Toys, faces, and even TV!! It’s adorable to see him staring at things, like bare wall, ceiling or light.
5) Oh and he absolutely loves his bath time!
I can’t wrap my head around how fast he’s growing already. Someone, please stop the time for a bit!
This perfectly happy family portrait you’re looking at right now may look like we have everything under control, but in reality it was a chaos! CHAOS! One minute, he is all happy and giggling, another minute spiting up left and right, then he’ll get tired and fussy. But we managed to snap a few perfect shots! For that I’m thankful!
As I mentioned above, I had my mom here helping me out full time. This helped me to really enjoy the beginning of motherhood without much stress. I’d highly, highly recommend to accept any and all help from your family when you have a baby. Unfortunately, my mom just went back to Mongolia this weekend. I have no idea how things are going to be from now on. Check back in a few weeks to see how I survive. Thank God for my husband who’ll be in charge of Grant in the evenings!
I also would like to share a few products that we currently love. I decided to share only 5 top (read: best of the best) products for each phase, so I don’t go crazy, listing everything we use, because we have a lot of favorites.
5 Baby Products We’re Absolutely Crazy About:
- Baby Bargains– Ok, this is not necessarily a baby product, but this is what helped me in my research for all my baby related purchases. My friend Amy gave me this book when I was pregnant. (Thanks, Amy!) This book is full of unbiased reviews, recommendations and product comparisons. I consulted with this book for every single purchase, and so far I’ve been pretty happy with all of my purchases.
- Socks and scratch mittens that stay on!! Ok, these socks and mittens are awesome, they really stay on on my baby’s tiny feet and hands. If your baby loses his socks and/or mittens often, look into these one.
- Snuza, baby movement monitor– your key to worry-free good night sleep. As I mentioned earlier, as first time parents, there’re so many things that worries us, and one of those things is “Is baby breathing?” And this little device truly gives us a piece of mind. My mom thought it’s silly (she raised 4 kids without it!), but I love it nonetheless.
- Nosefrida Baby Nasal Aspirator. This fun little device, aka snotsucker, is one the greatest inventions yet! It might sound gross, but there is really no reason to gross out. It’s simple, clean, and most importantly, effective!!
- Gripe Water. So, Grant has been really gassy for a few weeks. He would grunt and grunt with so much pain and irritation. It’s the most painful thing to watch your baby having a hard time, because you feel so helpless. And this magic water saved us so many times, and baby loves its taste! It works within minutes, I can’t say enough good things about it! Stock up, if you’re expecting!
So that’s a wrap for now. Hope you enjoyed reading.
PS: This post is not sponsored. However, it contains affiliate links to the products that I truly love! Thank you!
don’t miss a recipe!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: