Let me show you how to grill a perfect pizza and pack it with flavor with just a few ingredients! This’s my absolute favorite summer pizza right here!
Why you’ll love this pizza recipe:
If you’ve never grilled a pizza before, you’re in for a treat!!!
It’s the only way to cook pizza during summer, and you’re going to love it!!
- Super quick and easy – No need to heat up the house with an oven!
- Only 6 ingredients for this delicious, flavor-packed pizza!
- My homemade pizza dough is a fantastic option if you want to keep it 100% homemade.
Ready for a pizza night?
How to grill a pizza:
I have to admit, grilling a pizza seemed like a risky business. What if it falls through the grates?? I thought!!
Well, good news! I’ve been grilling pizza every summer since 2017 and it never happened!! So, let me share a few tips on how to grill a perfect pizza.
- Preheat your grill well. I’ve used both charcoal and gas grills and both works great!
- Stretch and shape your pizza dough.
- When ready to grill, clean and oil the grates. I soak oil into a paper towel and run it all over the grates using a pair of kitchen tongs.
- Throw the pizza dough onto the hot grates, close the lid and cook for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on other side for another 2 minutes or so.
- Once the dough is cooked, transfer onto a counter, arrange the toppings and put it back on the grill for a minute or so to melt the cheese.
It really don’t take long to cook the crust, so keep a close eye on it. I suggest having a pair of tongs handy and sneak a peek under the crust after a minute or so. You’re going for beautiful grill marks, not burn.
I shared my favorite way of reheating leftover pizza in my roasted tomato pizza post.
You can totally grill a few pizza crusts at once and freeze it for later.
- Simply grill the crust on both sides, cool completely, tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, bring it out of the freezer, top with your favorite toppings and bake as usual.
Grilled Artichoke Pizza
- Bring the pizza dough to room temperature, about 2 hours on the counter.
- Stretch out both pizza dough balls into 10-inch circles on a lightly floured counter. (Watch my video on how to stretch pizza dough.)
- Heat the grill over high heat for at least 10 minutes.
- When ready to grill, clean and oil the grates. I soak veg. oil into a paper towel and run it all over the grates using a pair of kitchen tongs.
- Carefully place each crust directly on the grill, cover and cook for about 2 minutes. Using a tong, flip it and grill for another 2 minutes or so, until the crust is nice and cooked.
- Transfer the grilled pizza crusts onto a baking sheet.
- Spread pesto evenly on both pizza crusts. And generously sprinkle a cup of mozzarella cheese on each pizza. Then place artichoke pieces, and throw in roasted bell pepper strips. Finally sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Slide the assembled pizzas back on the grill and cook until the cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
· Simply grill the crust on both sides, cool completely, tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
· When ready to use, bring it out of the freezer, top with your favorite toppings and bake as usual. Storing Tip: Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air-fryer for the best results!
This recipe was originally published on June 13, 2017.