Juicy, tender and irresistibly flavorful sesame miso chicken is roasted to golden crispy perfection. Easy and delicious dinner with less than 10 minutes of hands-on time.
Ever since I’ve become a mom, I have a new appreciation for quick n’ easy dinners without sacrifice on flavor, nutrition and presentation. 🙂
And this sesame miso chicken fits the bill just right! Less than 10 minutes to prepare the chicken, and the rest is done in the oven for you.
The marinade is where all the flavors come together. Lots of asian flavors in here. Think, miso paste, sesame oil (<- my absolute favorite!), mirin, aka sweet rice wine (not to be confused with rice wine vinegar, read this post for more details), soy sauce and sriracha. If you’re not into spicy food, don’t worry it’s not spicy at all. But feel free to increase the heat by doubling, or even tripling the sriracha.
Let’s talk about miso paste…
What’s miso paste? It’s a fermented soybean paste that has salty, rich and savory flavor. There is no one way to describe it though. You’ll find different varieties of miso paste out there, from white to red to deep brown. A quick tip: the lighter the color, the milder the paste is. You can find a tub of miso paste at a local asian store. The great thing about it is that it lasts forever in the fridge. Amazing stuff!
Really you don’t need a step-by-step visual for this one, but as per usual, I had to include it.
I served this chicken with plain white rice one night, then made chicken fried rice with the leftovers the next. Now that’s what I call “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!”
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Thank you for reading!
Sesame Miso Chicken
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon miring aka rice wine
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha more if you like spicy
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs legs and wings
- 1 green onion for garnish optional
- 1 teaspoon black or white toasted sesame seeds for garnish optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together miso paste, sesame oil, olive oil, mirin, Sriracha, soy sauce and salt until nice and smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag and pour the prepared marinade. Squeeze out the air, as you close the bag. Massage the marinade into the meat to distribute it evenly. Marinade for 20-30 minutes. If you’re cooking right away, keep it at room temperature. If not cooking within 30 minutes, refrigerate until 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the chicken in one layer on baking pan. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until internal temperature registers 170°F (76°C).
- Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice, or vegetables of your choice for a complete meal.