Roasted Garlic Breadsticks
This garlic breadsticks recipe is completely from scratch. Laced with cheese from inside out, these roasted garlic breadsticks are flavor-bombs and oh-so-addicting.
So couple weeks ago, I made these roasted garlic breadsticks. From SCRATCH! The house smelled amazing all day, cuz I roasted the garlic right after breakfast. Gosh, have you ever roasted garlic before? If not, you definitely should, it’s out of this world delicious! Even if you thought you don’t like garlic, try this method. I bet you’ll love it.
Anyway, the breadsticks were done by mid morning, and I had these beautiful breadsticks all to myself. I ate inhaled like three for “taste-testing”. I had to stop to take some photos for the post, but that didn’t really stop me to have another one. (I know, I really have zero self-control, and I hate myself for that!) By the time my husband came home, I only had like 6 breadsticks left. I pretended like I made a half batch, and we shared what was left for dinner. Mm-hmm, I ate nothing but roasted garlic breadsticks that day. I just want to run like 5 miles by thinking about that day.
Ok, what makes these roasted garlic breadsticks so special? First of all, I think all cheesy, garlicky breadsticks are awesome! But my version is totally from scratch! You and I know exactly what goes in them. And that’s what makes them special. That’s not all though. The pizza dough is made in advance and thrown in the fridge for slow and cold fermentation process overnight. You see, the dough develops maximum flavor through slow rise in cold environment. This process is called retarding dough. It will take you less than 10 minutes after dinner to mix the dough and put them in the fridge. While you’re at it, roast the garlic as well. Then the next day, you will be enjoying the delicious breadsticks in no time.
Speaking of roasted garlic. It’s star of the
show recipe here! Roasted garlic and raw garlic are like day and night. Raw garlic is kind of spicy and pungent, whereas roasted garlic is much milder and sweeter. Whenever you bake a casserole, or roast a chicken in the oven, throw a few heads of garlic wrapped in a foil and roast them along. It’s not only great for breadsticks, but you can also enjoy it on a piece of baguette, or in a hummus. It’s life-changing!
As you can see, my breadsticks are shaped a little different. That’s because I wanted my breadsticks laced with cheese inside out. Oh so good!
Warning! They are absolutely addicting, so make these when you have friends and family over. Enjoy!
Roasted Garlic Breadsticks
Laced with cheese from inside out, these roasted garlic breadsticks are flavor-bombs and oh-so-addicting.
Yield: 12 breadsticks
For pizza dough:
- ½ teaspoon active yeast
- 2/3 cup (155ml) lukewarm water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups (250gr) bread, or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (100gr) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup (15gr) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the pizza dough, in a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast into 1/3 of cup (80gr) of lukewarm water. (Don’t use hot water, or it will kill the yeast.) Add the sugar and let it proof for 5 minutes. The mixture will start foaming, which means the yeast is alive.
- In a large mixing bowl with dough hook attachment, combine flour, salt, yeast mixture and the remaining 1/3 cup (75ml) of lukewarm water on low speed. (Alternatively, you can make this dough by hand.) Once the dough start coming together, add the olive oil. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Transfer onto a counter and cut into 2 equal parts. Form each dough into a ball, generously oil them and put them into separate ziplock bags. Refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor.
- The next day, bring the dough out of the fridge. Let it rise at room temperature for 1-2 hours, before making the breadsticks.
- To roast the garlic, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut the top of the garlic head, exposing the garlic cloves, and place it in the middle of aluminum foil cut side up. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and wrap the garlic. Roast it for 45-75 minutes, or until the garlic is golden and mushy. Start checking it after 45 minutes, at this point it should be ready, but for more color and flavor, continue to roast for another half hour.
- To make the breadsticks, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Once the garlic is roasted, cool it slightly and squeeze garlic cloves out. Press through garlic press into a small bowl and mix with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into 10x12in (25x30cm) rectangle. Spread half of the garlic olive oil all over the dough. Sprinkle about half of the mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano on one half of the dough. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Fold the dough in half so that cheeses are covered. Sprinkle a little bit more mozzarella cheese on top and cut the dough into 6 strips. Twist each strip and arrange them on a baking sheet lined with silicone mat, or parchment paper. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining dough and cheese.
For step-by-step photos and additional notes, read the post above.
Snap a photo and submit it here. OR
Share it on IG with #sweetandsavorybyshinee
All photographs and content on Sweet & Savory by Shinee is copyright protected, unless otherwise noted. Please do not use any of my photos without my authorization. If you would like to share my recipe, you may re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the full directions. Thank you for your cooperation!
don’t miss a recipe!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: