Surprisingly creamy and smooth, this strawberry banana ice cream is a delicious dairy-free treat with just 2 ingredients.
2013 is the year I made my first batch of banana ice cream, or nice cream, as some say. OMG, in 2013!!! Like 8 years ago! Whoa, where did the time go?!
Since then I got married and had two babies with absolutely crazy sweet tooth, just like their mama! Couple of years ago, Grant at 3 was in a habit of having an ice cream break after his nap. Obviously, it was becoming a very unhealthy habit, but instead of saying ‘no’ to his favorite time of the day, we made this delicious frozen treat together and had so much fun.
He absolutely enjoyed his bowl of ice cream and I was happy he wasn’t consuming a ton of processed sugar every day.
- Bananas – Make sure to freeze really ripe bananas with black spots. They’re much sweeter when ripe. Peel and slice the banana before freezing.
- Strawberries – I use a bag of frozen strawberries from the store, but you can always freeze fresh strawberries too.
I usually don’t measure the ingredients, but keep in mind different ratios will yield different results.
- More bananas make creamier ice cream.
- More strawberries yield more like sorbet, which is super refreshing!
How to make this nice cream:
Making this ice cream is magical and so easy!
- Simply place frozen strawberries and bananas in a food processor and watch the magic happen!
Be patient as the fruits will go through different stages. From chunky to crumbly to creamy.
Give it quick stir a few times to help the fruit chunks to move around.
As for equipment you don’t need an ice cream maker. But you do need a good food processor! I use my 14-cup Cuisinart food processor (our wedding gift!)
If you have high-powered blender, like Vitamix, it may work, but regular blender won’t cut it.
If you’re using super ripe banana, which is what you should be using for best result, you won’t need any additional sweetener. Besides, strawberries also add nice sweetness to the ice cream!
Hope you’ll love this creamy and healthy treat. 🙂
Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
- 2 bananas sliced and frozen Note 1
- 8-10 frozen strawberries Note 2
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract optional
- Place frozen bananas and strawberries in a food processor.
- Process for 4-5 minutes, or until nice and creamy. It'll take a few minutes to get to creamy consistency, so be patient.
- Stir in pure vanilla extract, if desired.
- Serve it right away as soft serve ice cream, or freeze it in an airtight container for couple hours to firm up. If frozen hard, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
Tips & Notes:
– More bananas make creamier ice cream.
– More strawberries yield more like sorbet, which is super refreshing!
This recipe was originally published on April 19, 2013.