Butterscotch Brownie Crisps
Crispy n’ chewy butterscotch brownie crisps from scratch with extra boost of flavor! Totally addicting treats for your morning coffee, or afternoon tea.
This beautiful snowy Monday, I’m sharing with you another variation of my brownie crisps. I know, these are quite small changes to my base recipe, but these definitely deserve its own post.
If you haven’t tried my brownie crisps, you’re so missing out on crispy, chewy, thin, and totally dunkable chocolate treats, that pairs especially well with your morning coffee, or tea. And we all know that butterscotch n’ chocolate is as great as peanut butter n’ chocolate, right?
In this version, besides throwing in some butterscotch chips, I infused the batter with butterscotch candy oil for an extra boost of flavor. You know I’m a huge fan of LorAnn Candy Oils. Their candy oils are top notch, super powerful and a little bit goes a long way. (If you haven’t heard of them before, you have to check them out for your holiday treats!)
And just like in my minty brownie crisps recipe, you don’t want to mix the chips into the batter. Sprinkle them after you spread the batter into thin layer on a baking sheet. That way you’ll ensure to get the thinnest crisps. (<- the best kind!)
These crisps store well at room temperature in a ziplock bag.
I keep them right on our dining table within arm’s reach, ready to be devoured whenever I sit down for a cup of tea.
Dunk, dunk, dunk! These are seriously addicting!
Butterscotch Brownie Crisps
Crispy n' chewy butterscotch brownie crisps from scratch with extra boost of flavor! Totally addicting treats for your morning coffee, or afternoon tea.
Yield: About 6 servings
- ½ cup (60gr) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (25gr) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½-1 teaspoon instant espresso powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup (150gr) sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butterscotch candy oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (50gr) butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, espresso powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat egg whites with sugar, vanilla extract and butterscotch candy oil until foamy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in the vegetable oil. Pour the batter on the prepared baking sheet. Using an offset spatula spread the batter evenly into a thin layer (about ¼ inch thin). Sprinkle the butterscotch chips all over the batter. Bake for 25 minutes. The brownie will be on the soft side, but it’ll harden as it cools.
- Transfer the baking sheet onto a wire rack to cool completely. Break the brownie crisp into small pieces and enjoy!
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
For step-by-step photos and additional notes, read the post above.
*Instant espresso powder isn’t necessary, but it enhances the chocolate flavor and adds a nice flavor. I didn’t have any coffee flavor when I added ½ teaspoon. However, I liked 1 teaspoon of espresso powder a bit more for an additional flavor note.
Snap a photo and submit it here. OR
Share it on IG with #sweetandsavorybyshinee
All photographs and content on Sweet & Savory by Shinee is copyright protected, unless otherwise noted. Please do not use any of my photos without my authorization. If you would like to share my recipe, you may re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the full directions. Thank you for your cooperation!
don’t miss a recipe!
Subscribe to receive weekly updates: