This sweet and citrus-y orange cream frosting is one of my favorite fillings. It pairs especially well with light and airy angel food cake.
The original recipe can be found on Betty Crocker.
Here is my step-by-step photo direction to make perfect orange frosting for your cake.
I can totally eat this by spoonful! It’s that delicious.
Orange Cream Frosting
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup 200gr sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup 160ml orange juice
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup 170gr unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup 240ml heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and salt until well combined. Stir in butter and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. And let it boil for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Pour orange mixture through fine mesh strainer. Cover with plastic wrap so it touches the orange curd. Refrigerate for about an hour.
- In a clean bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed till hard peaks form. Fold the whipped cream and grated orange peal into the cooled orange curd.