These fun mummy meringue cookies are light as air and melt-in-your-mouth treats, perfect for your Halloween party!
Need super easy, yet fun treat for your Halloween party? You won’t need much time to whip up these sweets, plus you can make these a day or two in advance. Win-win!
By not much time I mean it doesn’t require much hands-on time.
Don’t they look creepishly cute??
Ah, and they melt in your mouth so sweetly. Who knew that mummies could be so sweet? 😉
The secrets to perfect meringue cookies are 1. super clean, grease-free utensils, from bowls to whisks. 2. Egg whites should be free of any egg yolks. Basically, any trace of fat is enemy to a meringue. 3. Egg whites at room temperature whip up much faster than cold ones.
Oh, and you can flavor these meringue cookies with any flavor you want! Simply add your favorite flavor extracts, baking emulsions, or baking oils.
Have a Happy Halloween!
Mummy Meringue Cookies
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or silicone mat.
- In a large, grease-free clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy on low speed. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat slowly increasing the speed to medium high. Add the powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat the mixture until the hard peaks form, about 5-7minutes. Stir in vanilla extract, or any other flavor you would like.
- Transfer the meringue into a piping bag fitted with round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe the meringue into 1x3inch stick in zigzag motion. Dot two eyes with black gel food coloring, or black sesame seeds. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until meringues are completely dry. Turn off the oven and leave the oven door ajar. Slowly cool the cookies.