Mini Cheese Balls
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
These fun, festive and fabulous mini cheese balls are perfect appetizer to make ahead. Best of all, the single-serve portions make it super easy to serve!
When hosting a party, big or small, you want to enjoy the company of your friends and family, instead of sweating in the kitchen, yes? Here is my #1 advise for relaxing and enjoyable party: prepare as much as you can in advance. And that includes the menu as well. Simple enough? I know it’s easier said than done, when you’re are scrambling for ideas.
Well, here is an absolutely fun and delicious appetizer for you to have as a backup. When in doubt, serve these cheeseballs!
These little cheese balls are incredibly customizable, fun and elegant. All for very little effort. You can coat the cheese balls in whatever your creative heart desires. Here, I used paprika, scallion, walnuts and sesame seeds.
Hungry for more ideas?
How about crushed red pepper for some kick, finely chopped pistachios (my favorite!), or dried cranberries. The world is your pickle, my friend!
And guess what? It’s so simple to whip up these gems, which makes it perfect last minute appetizer as well! Now, that’s a win-win in my book!
I strongly suggest you use high-quality cheese here. No pre-grated stuff here, please. Start with a nice block of cheese (I love Cabot’s seriously sharp cheddar), freeze it for 15-30 minutes and then grate away. Freezing helps to keep the cheese firm and makes the grating much easier. Mix the grated cheese with cream cheese and seasonings and divide the mixture into small single-serve balls. Roll them in whatever coating you prefer, and serve! With lots of crackers and wine. Yep, wine is a must. 🙂
Oh one more tip, do label the appetizer when serving at the party, because your guests might not realize that they are meant to be eaten on crackers. Quick funny story for ya. I brought these little guys to the ranch, and before I got to explain what they were, my mother-in-law had popped the entire ball into her mouth. After a minute, she is like “This is rich! But it’s good!” Oh did we have a good laugh!
What other fun coating ideas can you come up with? I’m all ears. 🙂
Thanks for stopping by. And have a fabulous day!
Mini Cheese Balls
- 4 oz 115gr extra sharp cheddar cheese (frozen for 15-30min)*
- 2 scallions
- 8 oz 225gr cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crackers for serving
- Chopped scallions
- Finely chopped walnuts
- Black and white toasted sesame seed
- Grate the sharp cheddar cheese on medium side of the box grater. Chop the scallions.
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add the freshly grated cheese, chopped scallions, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, form the mixture into small balls.
- Place the coatings into separate small dishes. Roll the cheese balls in the coating. Serve at room temperature with savory crackers.
Tips & Notes
Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.